Remember me
[Forgot password?] [Register]
[Login]
menu

New VS Forum Rules

[1] 2 3 4 Next > Last >>

[Reply] #1
07-05-2014 12:11 AM
Joined: 01-06-2006
Posts: 82,324
offline
See You Space Cowboy
See You Space Cowboy
You're Gonna Carry That Weight
Rep: 401

First and foremost, all of The Lounge’s normal rules all apply here. Though some here in VS may be enforced more strictly or leniently depending on the section.

VS FORUM

If I see a violation of the rules, what do I do?
If you see somebody breaking the rules you’re about to read, then we have a thread for that.
http://lounge.moviecodec.com/vs-general/see-any-problems-or-trolling-in-vs-report-it-here-343725/

Post the issue here, and also note that the website has a built in report function that will send your problem directly to an administrator.

What is this section for? The VS Forum is specifically for character(s) versus character(s) debates. The debates in this section will keep a more serious tone and spam, flaming, and trolling will be taken as moderate to serious offenses. Debaters are expected to remain fairly civil and are expected to provide proof for their claims when asked.

Can we use calcs in our debates? Generally, the answer is no to all but simple calcs where all information is provided by the creator. (e.g. the author gives you a distance traveled and a time frame for it to occur in, you can definitely use them to obtain a speed) However, if you wish to make your own thread and allow all forms of calcs, you may. But it must be stated in the opening post. But be aware that the majority of The Lounge do not use or like calculations for fiction.

What type of threads aren’t allowed here? As this section is meant for more serious debates, the types of threads we will allow here are somewhat limited. Below are some examples of such threads and why they’re not allowed. These aren’t the only threads that aren’t allowed, however, if we come across other troublesome thread types they could be added to the list.

Omnipotent VS Omnipotent/Anything
These types of threads are idiotic at best and never result in anything other than flaming. Omnipotent beings are all-powerful and they’re probably terrible characters. So avoid them entirely.

MFTL Universe Buster VS Significantly Weaker Character
These are often spite threads, and they’re not allowed. If there is a significant power gap between the two characters, one that makes it undebatable then don’t post the thread. Repeated offenses on this will imply you’re little more than a troll and there’s a good chance you’ll be banned.

100 Characters VS 100 Characters
Having a small team fight against one person or another small team is fine. But when you get ten, twenty, or more characters in a single thread it becomes a proverbial clusterfuck waiting to happen. So try to keep the number of combatants to a minimum. Threads dealing with an entire universe are fine, but it is always helpful if you list the strongest characters of said universe in your opening post.

Forum Member(s) VS Forum Members(s)
Just don’t.

Religious Debates or Religious Figures
As a standard, all debates regarding religion itself should be placed in the Religion section. And, because some may find it extremely offensive, debates involving religious figures such as Buddah or Jesus should be avoided altogether.

Inappropriate VS Matches
It should go without saying, but threads of a sexual, sexist, or racist nature are absolutely not allowed.



Rules and Regulations

#1 -Spam: Keep off-topic conversations to a minimum. Some general discussion is fine but try not to let irrelevant conversations go for more than a page or so at max. Discussions spanning more than that, should be taken to the appropriate discussion threads or PMs. Long conversations that disrupt the topic, especially after being asked to move the conversation can result in a ban from the thread. Posts such as “Goku Solos” or any variation thereof will be deleted and numerous posts like these will require further moderator action such as bans.

#2 - Flaming: Try to stay civil. Only very light flaming is acceptable. This rule will be heavily enforced in the Vs forum.

#3 - Trolling: Don’t make attempts to derail a thread with it. If you’re suspected of doing it you risk being banned from the thread. Examples of trolling typically include purposefully downplaying (or wanking) a series without proof, especially in attempts to upset other members, making erroneous statements to do the same, or continuously asserting a particular argument even after it has been debunked. Trolling does not include making arguments that nobody agrees with. But only so long as you have proper amounts of evidence to support it and your argument coincides with the Debate Guidelines listed below.

#4 - Backing Claims:Provide proof for your points, whether proving or disproving (e.g. calculations, scans, etc.), otherwise your argument will either be ignored or moderated.

#5 - Posting Scans: When you do provide scans or evidence from a manga, comic, or video to back up your claims, please place them in spoiler tags. Dozens of large images or videos across a page can make the site difficult to browse, especially on mobile devices or slow connections. If you don’t put them in spoilers, your post may be edited or deleted entirely.

#6 - Moderation bias prevention: Moderators should not moderate threads in which they are participating. Issues should be delegated to other moderators. A moderator may issue a warning, however no punishment can be enacted unless another moderator or admin (that is not participating) agrees with the warning and chooses to act upon it.

Anonymous Guidelines
*Borrowed and modified from Marquess' Original Guidelines*

What Is Canon?
In fiction, canon is the material accepted as part of the story in an individual fictional universe. The term “canon” can be used either as a noun, referring to “the original work from which the fan fiction author borrows," or as an adjective to describe whether or not certain elements are accepted as authoritative parts of the fictional universe. There are, however, levels of canon that are accepted. Main/Primary Canon, Secondary Canon, and Tertiary Canon. In debates, primary canon is held as absolute law and any contradictions stemming from secondary or tertiary canon is the fault of those and not of the primary. Secondary can be used if stated by the OP of the the thread.

Primary Canon: The primary canon of any media is usually described as the initial source or works that the creator both endorses and is heavily involved with. In some cases, the original creator will even verify that a particular source is definitely part of the series canon. These often include the comics for companies like Marvel, DC, and Darkhorse, the original manga for most anime, and the games and directly related media for video games.

Secondary Canon: The secondary canon of a franchise is usually the things officially produced by a company and officially endorsed by the original creator and which comes some time after the primary canon was released. However the difference secondary and primary canon is that the original creator usually has little or no involvement beyond general guidelines. Secondary canon usually has the primary issue of time placement within the original material. This usually involves movies, both animated and live action for comic books, anime and movies for manga, databooks, and other similar things.

Tertiary Canon: The tertiary canon of media involves things that are merely licensed for use from a parent company. The original creator usually has no involvement whatsoever with tertiary canon beyond his or her contributions to the original source material. Tertiary canon often has glaring inconsistencies in both the time it would take place in a series, the portrayal or the characters, or the plots introduced. This often includes video games based on media, novels written by various authors, or other variations where a license for use is the only link.

Powerscaling
Power scaling can often times be a tricky subject and is often the source of much conflict in the section. For this purpose, powerscaling will be tightly regulated and will likely be addressed on a case by case basis. A general idea of correct powerscaling would be something like “Character A is able to destroy a large city, character B is considered above him so he should be city+" a general idea of incorrect power scaling would be “Character A is able to destroy a large city, Character B is considered above him so he should island level”. If you have a basis for your scaling then post it, but if you’re basically pulling numbers out of nowhere then your argument will probably be ignored and repetitive uses of it may lead to bans.

Defeat
When a character is either knocked out, killed, removed from the battlefield for a lengthy period of time, or maimed beyond fighting ability, it counts as a win for the other character.

Art Style and the context of fights
It is important that the context of events is taken in to consideration. As well as author’s drawing style. For example, collateral damage in one arc is not always with the one before it. But if the context of the story says they got stronger, then they did. As for art style, characters in one series can seem slower than one of another while not actually being slower.

Plot Induced Stupidity
Plot Induced Stupidity, or PIS as some call it, is when a character either over performs or under performs solely due to plot restrictions. PIS can sometimes be mistaken as outliers such as Superman getting knocked out by a gas station explosion when he’s taken attacks that have destroyed city blocks. However, that is not the case. An actual plot restriction would be when neither the majority of Captains nor Vizards used their Bankai against Aizen solely because Kubo didn’t want them to reveal it yet. This should be discounted in actual fights. If you consistently reply on PIS in debates, you can be considered trolling and will probably be banned.

Character Induced Stupidity
Character Induced Stupidity is when a character does something that directly causes them to be less effective in a fight. An example of this would be Kenpachi refusing to finish off wounded opponents or Superman trying to talk his opponent down before actually attacking. Please note that a character having CIS removed does not mean that they will completely change tactics. This should be discounted in actual fights and as above, consistent use to downplay will probably lead to being banned.

Outliers
Outliers refer to both ends of a character’s spectrum. If Superman was knocked out by a normal street thug in one issue but blows up a multi-verse in another issues these would both be considered as outliers. Outliers should be discounted in actual fights and all characters should be expected to use consistent showings. However, the OP of a thread can specify if they want only high-ends or low-ends in their topic. This rule can and will most definitely be handled on a case by case basis as needed.

In-Character
Being in-character means that a character will perform the same way they do in the source material. Being out of character means that they will employ tactics they rarely or never use. For example, if Goku is in-character, he would never attempt to destroy the planet, however if he was out of character, he would attempt this even if it might kill himself in the process. A character is usually expected to perform the same way they do in the source material although it can be specified if a character should act out of character.

Bloodlust
Bloodlust refers to a character having intent to kill. Spider-Man would never attempt to kill his opponent despite the circumstances. However, in the Versus section it is assumed that he’ll be going all out instead of vastly holding back. This does not mean he’ll employ out of character tactics like shoving his webbing down a character’s throat to suffocate them. It is normally assumed a character is bloodlusted. Of course, this does not refer to being out of character.

Fallacies
It is important to remember logical fallacies when debating. One fallacy that is accepted across versus forums is the No-Limits Fallacy. This refers to characters who have abilities that seemingly lack limits, like Gremmy. His capabilities can be assumed, but there’s a ceiling and we wouldn’t assume he could erase the universe on a whim. Or for character statements such as Itachi’s claim that only an Uchiha could defeat him. For a list of other fallacies, please refer to this site.

Assumed Incarnations
If not specified, it will be assumed that the current version of a character is being discussed in a thread with their standard equipment, which will be addressed in the next section. This means that the current New 52 version of Superman will be in a thread and not Pre-Crisis Superman.

Standard Equipment
A character is assumed to have their standard equipment in a versus thread unless it is specified otherwise. For example, it’ll be assumed that Thanos has his shields but not the Infinity Gauntlet.

Assumed Battlefield

1) It’ll be assumed that the combatants are fighting in a generic, grassy plain that exists in a neutral universe identical to our own except it allows characters to use the full extent of their abilities just in case they are weakened in what would be considered the normal universe.

2) They’ll start starring at one another from a distance of about 15 meters.

3) It’ll be assumed that the time of day is one that’ll prove neutral for both characters.

Outside Help
No form whatsoever of outside help from separate characters is allowed in a fight where the separate characters were not meant to be present by the OP. For example, you cannot say MoM wins a fight for Spawn because he would not let his progeny die. Unless the OP specifies, outside help is not allowed.

Summoning can be allowed if the capability of summoning is within a character’s normal capabilities such as Summoned Monsters from the Final Fantasy franchise. This rule can also be changed in the opening post.



Banned Threads


Wolfenstein wrote: 1). Omnipotent A vs. Omnipotent B e variations (these are so fuckin' gay, rofl).

Example

2). Forum Member A vs. Forum Member B e variations (joke threads are OK -- as long as nobody is about to pop a blood vessel).

Example

3). MvC vs. [insertotherforumlikeOBD] e variations

N/A: the search function works, yes.

4). Luffy vs. Naruto vs. Ichigo e variations (tread w/ caution; while allowed, overabundance = ban)

Example

5). Bleach vs. Naruto vs. One Piece e variations (" ", same as above).

Example

7). Boring, overdone threads, e.g. Cell vs. Broly.

Example

8). Non-versus stuff, e.g. Christians vs. Atheists (this isn’t the place to discuss Religion, or lack of thereof -- we have a sub-forum for that).

Example

9). Dragonball Z vs. Marvel/DC/Image e variations (same rule as HST threads).

Example

10). Spite Threads/Stomp Threads.

Example

11). Bait Threads.

Example

12). DBZ vs Comics (We have a thread for that) Continue with making them and you will be banned

Example

13). DBZ vs Games (We have a thread for this)

Example

14). Things that don’t even belong in Versus Forum

Example

Moderated 09-24-2014 10:27 PM by Souls
[Reply] #2
07-05-2014 12:18 AM
Joined: 01-06-2006
Posts: 82,324
offline
See You Space Cowboy
See You Space Cowboy
You're Gonna Carry That Weight
Rep: 401

These rules are new and hopefully improved. They’ve been streamlined for easier understanding and better enforcement. Starting off, for the next week or so, we will be more lenient with these, but after it settles in and everyone has a chance to see them, we will be enforcing them strictly. You’ll get one warning and your next offense will result in a ban.

With that said, do not be fooled into thinking that this week’s leniency means you won’t be banned. It simply means you’ll get a two or three warnings prior.

If you have any questions, then feel free to PM me with them.

Screw it, unlocked.

Feel free to make suggestions as you wish and discuss the new rules.

Edited 07-05-2014 12:22 AM by See You Space Cowboy
[Reply] #3
07-05-2014 12:25 AM
Joined: 12-28-2013
Posts: 2,457
offline
Son Vegeta
Son Vegeta
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 29

Seems legit


__________________

[Reply] #4
07-05-2014 12:29 AM
Joined: 09-10-2012
Posts: 77,118
offline
Izayoi
Izayoi
~Prince Swordsman~
Rep: 207

Well done, Cid.

These get my stamp of approval:


__________________

Edited 07-05-2014 12:31 AM by Izayoi
[Reply] #5
07-05-2014 12:29 AM
Joined: 03-31-2014
Posts: 3,494
offline
SuperMegaUltraGigaDrillBreakBURST
SuperMegaUltraGigaDrillBreakBURST
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 107

Inb4lok


__________________

Kamen Rider Soul wrote: If you get married you’re dumb.

[Reply] #6
07-05-2014 12:31 AM
Joined: 12-28-2013
Posts: 2,457
offline
Son Vegeta
Son Vegeta
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 29

Zeed wrote: Well done, Cid.

These get my stamp of approval:

cid and zeed the ultimate tag team mods?


__________________

[Reply] #7
07-05-2014 12:34 AM
Joined: 01-06-2006
Posts: 82,324
offline
See You Space Cowboy
See You Space Cowboy
You're Gonna Carry That Weight
Rep: 401

SuperMegaUltraGigaDrillBreakBURST wrote: Inb4lok



No lock. I want the members to be able to reply, offer their opinions, offer their input, and be involved.

I might be a dictator, but I’ll at least pretend that your opinions are important. wink

[Reply] #8
07-05-2014 12:35 AM
Joined: 09-10-2012
Posts: 77,118
offline
Izayoi
Izayoi
~Prince Swordsman~
Rep: 207

The World Champion wrote:

Zeed wrote: Well done, Cid.

These get my stamp of approval:

cid and zeed the ultimate tag team mods?

He even got my Haku-stamp, not my Terumi-seal.


__________________

[Reply] #9
07-05-2014 12:36 AM
Joined: 04-03-2014
Posts: 1,129
offline
SpiraI
SpiraI
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 23

Only issue I’m seeing is in posters like Nena who seem to ask for proof about claims more than debating or refuting the evidence given.


__________________


Koichi wrote: For some reason, I want to be a little girl right now.

I don’t know why... I need help.

[Reply] #10
07-05-2014 12:40 AM
Joined: 10-03-2012
Posts: 20,035
offline
Tomie
Tomie
Hi!
Rep: 127

Backing Claims: If asked to provide proof for you claims, provide them regardless of whether or not you think they should know or not. If you can’t back a claim up, the opposition is free to assume you’re lying and repeated assertion without proof could lead to a ban from the thread. On the other hand, if you make claims which are continually proven wrong, stop posting them in the thread. This could be considered trolling and could also lead to a ban from the thread.



Finally!!


__________________

Alpha and Omega wrote:
Science is even bigger bullshit lol, they believe the big bang created everything from 2 atoms colliding together or some shit, they tried to do the same thing in 2008 spending 10 billion dollars doing it, but the risk was a very small black hole being made if failed, they failed and no black hole was created also.

[Reply] #11
07-05-2014 12:40 AM
Joined: 01-06-2006
Posts: 82,324
offline
See You Space Cowboy
See You Space Cowboy
You're Gonna Carry That Weight
Rep: 401

SpiraI wrote: Only issue I’m seeing is in posters like Nena who seem to ask for proof about claims more than debating or refuting the evidence given.



Nothing wrong with asking for proof. lol

[Reply] #12
07-05-2014 12:42 AM
Joined: 12-28-2013
Posts: 2,457
offline
Son Vegeta
Son Vegeta
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 29

Cid wrote:

SpiraI wrote: Only issue I’m seeing is in posters like Nena who seem to ask for proof about claims more than debating or refuting the evidence given.



Nothing wrong with asking for proof. lol

cid can you address things like fake scans?


__________________

[Reply] #13
07-05-2014 12:42 AM
Joined: 10-03-2012
Posts: 20,035
offline
Tomie
Tomie
Hi!
Rep: 127

Cid, can you ban people who misconstrue feats. Like post a scan and leave out important parts of the scan in order to lie?


__________________

Alpha and Omega wrote:
Science is even bigger bullshit lol, they believe the big bang created everything from 2 atoms colliding together or some shit, they tried to do the same thing in 2008 spending 10 billion dollars doing it, but the risk was a very small black hole being made if failed, they failed and no black hole was created also.

[Reply] #14
07-05-2014 12:45 AM
Joined: 01-06-2006
Posts: 82,324
offline
See You Space Cowboy
See You Space Cowboy
You're Gonna Carry That Weight
Rep: 401

The World Champion wrote:

Cid wrote:

SpiraI wrote: Only issue I’m seeing is in posters like Nena who seem to ask for proof about claims more than debating or refuting the evidence given.



Nothing wrong with asking for proof. lol

cid can you address things like fake scans?



What kind of fake scans? I’ve never even encountered this issue.

Hell Hath No Fury wrote: Cid, can you ban people who misconstrue feats. Like post a scan and leave out important parts of the scan in order to lie?



This, I can’t do anything about. If you run into this issue often, you should ask for scans from a page or two prior and after in order to place it within context. If they’re not lying, they should have no problem providing the additional pages. If they refuse or are unable to do so, then you could theoretically treat it as being in violation of the rule on backing claims.

Edited 07-05-2014 12:46 AM by See You Space Cowboy
[Reply] #15
07-05-2014 12:45 AM
Joined: 09-10-2012
Posts: 77,118
offline
Izayoi
Izayoi
~Prince Swordsman~
Rep: 207

Question, Cid.

What about nonsensical arguments?

They cannot be refuted on the grounds that they are nonsensical.


__________________

[Reply] #16
07-05-2014 12:46 AM
Joined: 09-11-2007
Posts: 35,678
offline
Chaos Theory
Chaos Theory
§The Hundred Knight§
Rep: 229

Nonsensical?

Like what?


__________________


§Metallia AKA: Metallica§

[Reply] #17
07-05-2014 12:47 AM
Joined: 01-06-2006
Posts: 82,324
offline
See You Space Cowboy
See You Space Cowboy
You're Gonna Carry That Weight
Rep: 401

Zeed wrote: Question, Cid.

What about nonsensical arguments?

They cannot be refuted on the grounds that they are nonsensical.



Can you give me a couple examples?

[Reply] #18
07-05-2014 12:48 AM
Joined: 09-10-2012
Posts: 77,118
offline
Izayoi
Izayoi
~Prince Swordsman~
Rep: 207

Chaos Theory wrote: Nonsensical?

Like what?

Things like 'Digimon can emerge into the real world, so the physics in that world is completely different from ours' or something like that.

I remember Gay Lord trying to downplay Digimon with it. I can see if I still have PMs regarding it somewhere.

Things that, while they can be supported, cannot exactly be refuted.


__________________

Edited 07-05-2014 12:48 AM by Izayoi
[Reply] #19
07-05-2014 12:48 AM
Joined: 10-03-2012
Posts: 20,035
offline
Tomie
Tomie
Hi!
Rep: 127

Cid wrote:
This, I can’t do anything about. If you run into this issue often, you should ask for scans from a page or two prior and after in order to place it within context. If they’re not lying, they should have no problem providing the additional pages. If they refuse or are unable to do so, then you could theoretically treat it as being in violation of the rule on backing claims.



So, if I catch them lying or misconstruing the scan then it’s a violation? Yes.


__________________

Alpha and Omega wrote:
Science is even bigger bullshit lol, they believe the big bang created everything from 2 atoms colliding together or some shit, they tried to do the same thing in 2008 spending 10 billion dollars doing it, but the risk was a very small black hole being made if failed, they failed and no black hole was created also.

[Reply] #20
07-05-2014 12:49 AM
Joined: 01-06-2006
Posts: 82,324
offline
See You Space Cowboy
See You Space Cowboy
You're Gonna Carry That Weight
Rep: 401

Zeed wrote:

Chaos Theory wrote: Nonsensical?

Like what?

Things like 'Digimon can emerge into the real world, so the physics in that world is completely different from ours' or something like that.

I remember Gay Lord trying to downplay Digimon with it. I can see if I still have PMs regarding it somewhere.



Just sounds like trolling to me. That’d fall under him using erroneous statements in order to get under your skin.

[1] 2 3 4 Next > Last >>

New Reply
Name (guest):

For faster posting and no restrictions: [Login] [Register]

Message:


 
 

[More Options] [New Topic]
Moderated by: Phobetius, Zeroextra, znjfl, The Ancient Apocalypse, Hanbei, - FS -, Admins, Superusers [All moderators]
The Lounge Forums ©Silicon.dk ApS 2012 - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - FAQ - Contact