Remember me
[Forgot password?] [Register]
[Login]
menu

Why Weight lifting Won’t Increase Punching Power

<< First < Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next > Last >>

[Reply] #41
12-17-2012 04:22 PM
Joined: 10-18-2012
Posts: 48,039
offline
Raniero
Raniero
---
Rep: 263

Call Me Maybe wrote: Why are faggits allowed on forums, i mean they are so fucking annoying calling people they don’t know retards, I’m probably many times smarter than swan. I bet he can’t even punch a baby.


[Reply] #42
12-17-2012 05:29 PM
Ballen
Guest

“For punching power big muscles mean next to nothing. Anybody who has seen Paul Buentello, David Bey or James Hipp fight knows what’s up. None of these guys would be flagged as gym rats, but all of them can drop the hammer."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/a_totw9.htm

" I don’t think weight training makes much of a diffrerence regarding punching power. A little yes, but not a lot."

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6325

" we asked my boxing trainer about this, he said it doesnt really make a difference, and its not worth the trouble."

http://ninjashoes.net/forum/showthread.php?36852-Does-Shadowboxing-With-Weights-Increase-Punching-Power

“I’m having a debate with a bunch of weight lifters and they’re saying it does but as the boxer i should know that it doesn’t and that technique and speed is what gives you this power. Someone help me out. I know my buddy NSB will probably give me the best information. They feel that because weights are being used and weights make you stronger applies to your strength for punching And i just looked it up and found some bodybuilding site which also says this. You have people who aren’t boxers saying this stuff but i need to really know. Does it? i think it doesn’t."

“It all comes down to physics. In a simple summary, bulky weight lifters are more powerful the closer you are to their body, the farther away something is to them, their weaker and more vulnerable, no leaverage. So basically they will probably be able to hit harder fighting an inside fight. The more you Lift weights also decreases flexibility or overlapping in your thick and thin myofilaments(microscopic muscle, where all the cool stuff goes down, look up sarcomere). More overlapping of these filaments makes you stronger hence which is why flexibility=strength. Boxers also have more recruited fast-twitch muscle fibers. Opposite being slow twitch fibers which are stronger due to higher amounts of mitochondria and ATP. But thats where some physics come in. Since boxers are faster, they can put more velocity in their punches equaling more momentum and ending in a higher mass on impact making a guy who is fast and knows how to punch can, in most cases, hit harder vs. a slow stronger individual. I’m not saying lifting weights is bad, bcuz it is really essential, just limit the amount of weight, increase reps, and stretch. Lifting with bungees and doing body weight exercises won’t have as much as an effect on your flexibility and some ways will increase it. Thats the best I can pull out of my ass without referencing my old notes and texts, hope I helped."

“It’s not so much the fact that weight lifting will make you stronger as it is how it affects your body in general. Let’s say that there are two boxers, both the same weight, both with perfect technique, both with the same speed. One is 6’2, the other is 5’6. The taller fighter will still be able to punch with a reasonable amount of force since he’s still got good technique and speed, but because of the fact that his limbs are longer and his weight is less centered he won’t be physically able to generate as much rotational force as the shorter guy.

That being said, a strong core and lower body are must-haves for ANY boxer."

http://www.boxingforum.com/training-nutrition/9383-does-weight-help-you-punch-harder.html


GET MAD COMIC WANKERS.

[Reply] #43
12-17-2012 05:33 PM
Joined: 09-15-2012
Posts: 28,996
offline
fuck bjarne all my homies hate bjarne
fuck bjarne all my homies hate bjarne
bjane puts in the milk before the cereal
Rep: 345

Swan wrote:

Call Me Maybe wrote: Why are faggits allowed on forums, i mean they are so fucking annoying calling people they don’t know retards, I’m probably many times smarter than swan. I bet he can’t even punch a baby.


Please stop spamming that meme.

[Reply] #44
12-17-2012 05:35 PM
Joined: 10-18-2012
Posts: 48,039
offline
Raniero
Raniero
---
Rep: 263

Carlton Banks wrote: Please stop spamming that meme.


I’m not spamming it. By the way, which meme is that anyway?

[Reply] #45
12-17-2012 05:36 PM
Joined: 09-15-2012
Posts: 28,996
offline
fuck bjarne all my homies hate bjarne
fuck bjarne all my homies hate bjarne
bjane puts in the milk before the cereal
Rep: 345

Swan wrote:

Carlton Banks wrote: Please stop spamming that meme.


I’m not spamming it. By the way, which meme is that anyway?

Well you have used it a lot.

And I don’t know what it’s called.

[Reply] #46
12-17-2012 05:38 PM
Joined: 10-18-2012
Posts: 48,039
offline
Raniero
Raniero
---
Rep: 263

Carlton Banks wrote:

Swan wrote:

Carlton Banks wrote: Please stop spamming that meme.


I’m not spamming it. By the way, which meme is that anyway?

Well you have used it a lot.

And I don’t know what it’s called.


I like to use it because it makes me appear smug. I’ll just start using Vegeta pictures then.

[Reply] #47
12-17-2012 05:51 PM
Joined: 07-18-2012
Posts: 2,566
offline
PeacefulChaos
PeacefulChaos
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 46

shonenhikada1 wrote: Punching power (damage caused) = acceleration (hand speed) x force (muscle strength & body weight)



Both of those things increase when you lift weights, meaning that lifting weights will be important when increasing your punching power. Perhaps it is not entirely dependent upon it, but it certainly is important.

[Reply] #48
12-17-2012 07:53 PM
Calculator
Guest

PeacefulChaos wrote:

shonenhikada1 wrote: Punching power (damage caused) = acceleration (hand speed) x force (muscle strength & body weight)



Both of those things increase when you lift weights, meaning that lifting weights will be important when increasing your punching power. Perhaps it is not entirely dependent upon it, but it certainly is important.



By your fail logic then it means that superman should be weighing billions of tons just lifting the earth for 5 days right ?

[Reply] #49
12-17-2012 08:14 PM
Joined: 05-29-2012
Posts: 7,739
offline
The Merchant
The Merchant
Sith Lord
Rep: 93

That isn’t a meme. People really need to stop calling every caption and pic a meme.


__________________

[Reply] #50
12-17-2012 08:19 PM
Joined: 10-25-2007
Posts: 5,577
offline
Kyle Knight
Kyle Knight
The White Knight of Destiny
Rep: 46

Not that I care about peoples opinions on the matter as I am living proof about experience and muscle memory, train in a certain fashion and the body will incorporate and adapt to that style (while lifting weight will increase strength this douse nothing for fighting style or skill) one need incorporate daily training to gain any real physical strength understanding a punch and delivery are the key to honing real fighting strength. (even a common untrained person is strong adrenaline fueled however having skill and understanding driving your fist and emotion is key to using that strength effectively) agree don’t agree it’s this simple


__________________

Edited 12-17-2012 08:19 PM by Kyle Knight
[Reply] #51
12-17-2012 09:46 PM
Joined: 07-18-2012
Posts: 2,566
offline
PeacefulChaos
PeacefulChaos
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 46

Calculator wrote:

PeacefulChaos wrote:

shonenhikada1 wrote: Punching power (damage caused) = acceleration (hand speed) x force (muscle strength & body weight)



Both of those things increase when you lift weights, meaning that lifting weights will be important when increasing your punching power. Perhaps it is not entirely dependent upon it, but it certainly is important.



By your fail logic then it means that superman should be weighing billions of tons just lifting the earth for 5 days right ?



What the hell?

If Superman can lift the earth for 5 days then yes, he should be able to lift billions of tons.

What that has to do with what I just said, I don’t know.

[Reply] #52
12-18-2012 04:13 AM
Ballen
Guest

PeacefulChaos wrote:

Calculator wrote:

PeacefulChaos wrote:

shonenhikada1 wrote: Punching power (damage caused) = acceleration (hand speed) x force (muscle strength & body weight)



Both of those things increase when you lift weights, meaning that lifting weights will be important when increasing your punching power. Perhaps it is not entirely dependent upon it, but it certainly is important.



By your fail logic then it means that superman should be weighing billions of tons just lifting the earth for 5 days right ?



What the hell?

If Superman can lift the earth for 5 days then yes, he should be able to lift billions of tons.

What that has to do with what I just said, I don’t know.



You stated in your previous post dick head that lifting weights is proportional to muscle strength and body mass. By this logic then since superman lifts weight of planet earth for 5 days straight he must be pretty heavy right ? WRONG...BTW

no. How well you punch has nothing to do with how much you can bench press. To underscore this, look at Newton’s 2nd Law of Motion:

“Force equals mass times acceleration (F = ma)"

So, the two factors in increasing your punch power are:

1. Mass (Body mass)
2. Acceleration (Speed).

Work on your speed through relaxation. You already have all the speed you’re ever going to have--you just need to learn to let it go.

Secondly, you need to maximize your body mass engagement. The best way to do this is to work on muscles that integrate large parts of your body. So, benchpress and curls are right out, but strong core and strong legs are in.

--
BODY MASS has a upper limit for everyone...making speed the deciding factor in a punch retard.

[Reply] #53
12-18-2012 04:58 AM
Joined: 06-17-2011
Posts: 20,541
offline
znjfl
znjfl
The Heroes
Rep: 156

Ballen wrote:

PeacefulChaos wrote:

Calculator wrote:

PeacefulChaos wrote:

shonenhikada1 wrote: Punching power (damage caused) = acceleration (hand speed) x force (muscle strength & body weight)



Both of those things increase when you lift weights, meaning that lifting weights will be important when increasing your punching power. Perhaps it is not entirely dependent upon it, but it certainly is important.



By your fail logic then it means that superman should be weighing billions of tons just lifting the earth for 5 days right ?



What the hell?

If Superman can lift the earth for 5 days then yes, he should be able to lift billions of tons.

What that has to do with what I just said, I don’t know.



You stated in your previous post dick head that lifting weights is proportional to muscle strength and body mass. By this logic then since superman lifts weight of planet earth for 5 days straight he must be pretty heavy right ? WRONG...BTW

no. How well you punch has nothing to do with how much you can bench press. To underscore this, look at Newton’s 2nd Law of Motion:

“Force equals mass times acceleration (F = ma)"

So, the two factors in increasing your punch power are:

1. Mass (Body mass)
2. Acceleration (Speed).

Work on your speed through relaxation. You already have all the speed you’re ever going to have--you just need to learn to let it go.

Secondly, you need to maximize your body mass engagement. The best way to do this is to work on muscles that integrate large parts of your body. So, benchpress and curls are right out, but strong core and strong legs are in.

--
BODY MASS has a upper limit for everyone...making speed the deciding factor in a punch retard.




In my experience(not opinion) a boxer(karateka, muay thai fighter, any striker) even if he is a lightweight will have a stronger punch than a heavyweigth weightlifter.

But a boxer that lifts weights will have a stronger punch than a boxer who doesnt.


When i say weigthlifting im not talking about biceps curls or anything similair.

Fighters do Olympic lifts.
Clean and Press, Push Press, Snatch, Dead Lift, Bench Press.

Pretty much every one of these excersises works almost the entire body, specifically your lower back and lower abdominals, basicly the “core”. And some of them share the same motion of the punch, minus the rotating hip.

If you are doing more or less the motion of the punch but you have 70+ kilos in your hands, it does wonders for you punching power.

So what we have learned?

Weightlifting strenghtens the core and imitates the motion of a punch while adding “massive” weight to it.

Yes, im sure that is completely useless for punching power.



Now back to what most posters related this to...Superman.


If someone not trained in ANY martial arts was in fights basicly every single day of his life. Sooner or later he will learn to punch. A serious martial artist who has the right mentality will kick and street fighters ass imo, but that doesnt mean the the street fighter wont have a strong punch.

Now Superman is someone who fights every day of his life, and actually IS trained in bot basic and advanced combat systems.
The man trains with fucking Batman.

And on top of that he lifts weight that shits all over the feats of 99% of fictional characters.


Get mad manga wankers.


__________________

Edited 12-18-2012 04:59 AM by znjfl
[Reply] #54
12-18-2012 08:06 AM
Joined: 12-10-2012
Posts: 16
offline
rojpetric
Wannabe
Rep: 2

The point of reference is NOT YOUR BODY, it&#146;s the ground. Do not forget this. The moment you forget about strengthening your contact to the ground, your power will fail. Imagine if I was to be swinging in the air with my legs off the ground, I wouldn&#146;t be able to generate ANY POWER AT ALL (regardless of my punching technique).


__________________

sell my car

Edited 12-18-2012 08:08 AM by rojpetric
[Reply] #55
12-18-2012 06:16 PM
Joined: 07-18-2012
Posts: 2,566
offline
PeacefulChaos
PeacefulChaos
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 46

Ballen wrote:

PeacefulChaos wrote:

Calculator wrote:

PeacefulChaos wrote:

shonenhikada1 wrote: Punching power (damage caused) = acceleration (hand speed) x force (muscle strength & body weight)



Both of those things increase when you lift weights, meaning that lifting weights will be important when increasing your punching power. Perhaps it is not entirely dependent upon it, but it certainly is important.



By your fail logic then it means that superman should be weighing billions of tons just lifting the earth for 5 days right ?



What the hell?

If Superman can lift the earth for 5 days then yes, he should be able to lift billions of tons.

What that has to do with what I just said, I don’t know.



You stated in your previous post dick head that lifting weights is proportional to muscle strength and body mass. By this logic then since superman lifts weight of planet earth for 5 days straight he must be pretty heavy right ? WRONG...BTW

no. How well you punch has nothing to do with how much you can bench press. To underscore this, look at Newton’s 2nd Law of Motion:

“Force equals mass times acceleration (F = ma)"

So, the two factors in increasing your punch power are:

1. Mass (Body mass)
2. Acceleration (Speed).

Work on your speed through relaxation. You already have all the speed you’re ever going to have--you just need to learn to let it go.

Secondly, you need to maximize your body mass engagement. The best way to do this is to work on muscles that integrate large parts of your body. So, benchpress and curls are right out, but strong core and strong legs are in.

--
BODY MASS has a upper limit for everyone...making speed the deciding factor in a punch retard.



I stated that lifting weights will develop your muscles and make them stronger. Although this may increase your muscle mass (which is what I was stating earlier), it’s negated by the fact that you lose body mass due to the energy you put into lifting the weights. So no, Superman doesn’t weigh a lot because he can lift the earth multiple times, not to mention that the author of Superman probably wouldn’t be concerned with that small, trivial detail.

You also keep acting as though I stated that how strong you punch is entirely dependent upon weight lifting; it’s not. I stated that it will improve your strength, allowing you to have a stronger punch, but it’s not as if how strong you punch is dependent upon how much you lift. You pretty much are agreeing with me when you say, “The best way to do this is to work on muscles that integrate large parts of your body. So, benchpress and curls are right out, but strong core and strong legs are in."

[Reply] #56
12-18-2012 07:04 PM
Joined: 03-31-2009
Posts: 14,100
offline
Mosie Badazz
Mosie Badazz
Supabadazz
Rep: 164

pathhet wrote:

Moses Sandow wrote:

Superman wins wrote:

Moses Sandow wrote: Weight lifting increases punching power you faggot, weight classes in boxing exist for a reason.



Exactly. That’s why Superman (400 sextillion tons) is stronger than Ssj Goku (10 tons).



lol Superman hits nowhere near as hard as Goku.




So you’re telling me that Superman can’t beat a character who is ripped apart by 40 tons of force

:galacticryoma



No, I’m telling you that Superman would get his ass whupped by Goku. Wtf are you talking about?


__________________

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/MoseyGod/Capture_zps2e0ce38e.jpg
http://lounge.moviecodec.com/vs-forum/thor-vs-captain-america-hi-shoddragon-117247/ Hi Shoddragon

[Reply] #57
12-18-2012 07:09 PM
Joined: 06-29-2012
Posts: 3,224
offline
King Maizy
King Maizy
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 61

Punching strength is all about leverage, leg strength, and posture.


__________________

Maizy Santana

[Reply] #58
12-18-2012 07:29 PM
Joined: 10-23-2012
Posts: 580
offline
Ganbatty
Ganbatty
Regular
Rep: 49

Moses Sandow wrote:

pathhet wrote:

Moses Sandow wrote:

Superman wins wrote:

Moses Sandow wrote: Weight lifting increases punching power you faggot, weight classes in boxing exist for a reason.



Exactly. That’s why Superman (400 sextillion tons) is stronger than Ssj Goku (10 tons).



lol Superman hits nowhere near as hard as Goku.




So you’re telling me that Superman can’t beat a character who is ripped apart by 40 tons of force

:galacticryoma



No, I’m telling you that Superman would get his ass whupped by Goku. Wtf are you talking about?

Fuk up Ztard ill fucken waste you. Superman will fuck shit DBZ.

[Reply] #59
12-19-2012 09:30 PM
Joined: 12-07-2012
Posts: 8,285
offline
Expensive-Discount
Expensive-Discount
The Darkness Within...
Rep: 208

Ganbatty wrote:

Moses Sandow wrote:

pathhet wrote:

Moses Sandow wrote:

Superman wins wrote:

Moses Sandow wrote: Weight lifting increases punching power you faggot, weight classes in boxing exist for a reason.



Exactly. That’s why Superman (400 sextillion tons) is stronger than Ssj Goku (10 tons).



lol Superman hits nowhere near as hard as Goku.




So you’re telling me that Superman can’t beat a character who is ripped apart by 40 tons of force

:galacticryoma



No, I’m telling you that Superman would get his ass whupped by Goku. Wtf are you talking about?

Fuk up Ztard ill fucken waste you. Superman will fuck shit DBZ.



Shut it Ganbatty. No one wants to listen to yer butthurt meltdown.

@pathet: Everyone in DBZ (execpt Hercule, Videl, and Chaoitzu) have incalculable Physical-Strength.

And yes, Moses is right... Goku lolwrecks Superman. He’d be lucky to be Goku’s waterboy.


__________________

[Reply] #60
12-20-2012 07:45 PM
Joined: 10-23-2012
Posts: 580
offline
Ganbatty
Ganbatty
Regular
Rep: 49

Expensive-Discount wrote:

Ganbatty wrote:

Moses Sandow wrote:

pathhet wrote:

Moses Sandow wrote:

Superman wins wrote:

Moses Sandow wrote: Weight lifting increases punching power you faggot, weight classes in boxing exist for a reason.



Exactly. That’s why Superman (400 sextillion tons) is stronger than Ssj Goku (10 tons).



lol Superman hits nowhere near as hard as Goku.




So you’re telling me that Superman can’t beat a character who is ripped apart by 40 tons of force

:galacticryoma



No, I’m telling you that Superman would get his ass whupped by Goku. Wtf are you talking about?

Fuk up Ztard ill fucken waste you. Superman will fuck shit DBZ.



Shut it Ganbatty. No one wants to listen to yer butthurt meltdown.

@pathet: Everyone in DBZ (execpt Hercule, Videl, and Chaoitzu) have incalculable Physical-Strength.

And yes, Moses is right... Goku lolwrecks Superman. He’d be lucky to be Goku’s waterboy.

Planet>40 ton

<< First < Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next > Last >>

New Reply
Name (guest):

For faster posting and no restrictions: [Login] [Register]

Message:


 
 

[More Options] [New Topic]
Moderated by: Raziel, Zeroextra, - FS -, Admins, Superusers [All moderators]
The Lounge Forums ©Silicon.dk ApS 2012 - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - FAQ - Contact