Remember me
[Forgot password?] [Register]
[Login]
menu

New Reply

New Reply
Your name:


For faster posting and no restrictions: [Login] [Register]



Topic:
We've been asking the wrong question...

Message:


Smileys:


Spam prevention:


 


Click only once, it may take up to 30 seconds to post.
By submitting this form you agree to our posting rules, privacy policy and our disclaimer.

Topic Review (Latest First)

Posted by Wade
09-29-2016 07:17 PM

Macho wrote: It might fall into a scientific question but I doubt it’s any more serious than, say, do magic unicorns cause nuclear fusion in the Sun?

A hypothesis is only as good as the ability to prove it false.



I would say that must be considered a fallacy, because the truth is the truth, whether or not you can prove it.

See, Logos has the property of transcendence. This has been recognized for at least the past 3 and a half thousand years.

Logos must be associated with a Being which is a rational Mind, because the property of Understanding is transcendent as well.

Because Understanding transcends physics, we must have “Free Will”.

Nevertheless, “Free Will” does not contradict LOGOS, and so Fatalism and Free Will turn out to agree with one another, and are not contradictory.

Edited 09-29-2016 07:26 PM by Wade
Posted by Macho
09-22-2016 12:54 AM

It might fall into a scientific question but I doubt it’s any more serious than, say, do magic unicorns cause nuclear fusion in the Sun?

A hypothesis is only as good as the ability to prove it false.

Posted by Wade
09-21-2016 05:24 PM

Phobophage wrote: Of course, this is IMO, but:

Whether or not god exists is not a philosophical question. It is a scientific one. Regardless of what the truth is in the end, we cannot simply “believe” a being into or out of actual existance. It is up to observation, and testing, and discovery, and thus science, to determine such a question.

What I think really needs to be asked, about any given deity, is this: why should they be worshipped? What makes them worthy of the devotion, the love, and the sacrifice that so many show?

In a way this is what the arguement always turns into anyways, so really, I’m only asking that we all be straightforward when we are debating such things...gods existance is nigh irrelevant, whether or not he is worth following, whether or not it is good, or moral, to follow him, that is the important question.




The existence of God is by definition a scientific question, and it is not in doubt.

“The Rational principle which governs existence” could be none other than God, but it is also “LOGOS”.

There’s just one issue, “logos” even with a little “l”, transcends “physics”, for obvious reasons we can demonstrate from casual argumentation, such as the hypothetical proposition of alternate universes with alternate laws and constants, etc.

So even “logos” transcends physics, in which case Physicists aren’t going to be apt to admit to “LOGOS” very easily.

Posted by Haderach
07-28-2016 02:16 AM

Scientifically, multiverse theory branches to the maximum resulting in the infinite onion layer postulation that has been made by superstring theorists.

If that were the reality of the situation the science of religion must be confined to relevant purpose.

As far as I’m concerned we need to look at two specific scientific inquiries for that. One is the kardashev scale, or transient sentience like as in the technological singularity and transhumanist movement, and then we need to look at where we currently reside within that scale for reference and infer an alien origin of what would most likely define a civilization further into that scale and what such a civilization would hope to achieve by engineering one such as ours.

I’ve brought up a lot of theories, timeless decision theory makes sense if we reside as agents within a numerical simulation of reality created by a super intelligent artificial life-form for the purpose of allowing the simulation to gain awareness or computing power if you will, by automatically growing in conscious complexity - synaptic variety - of the agents as time progresses. So really the answer is revealed to us by what we’ve uncovered through cognitive psychology, that over one’s lifetime his or her synapses are in a constant state of change and our divine purpose is at all costs to gain fulfillment, survive, and remain human (and the Bible makes it very clear not to try and be like God). At least until the simulation runs out of synaptic combinations and this intelligence amplification can no longer occur.

It’s really more mathematics than science, the reality of our divine purpose, that is. But we find it through logic and intuition, through communication with our own reflection.

Edited 07-28-2016 02:36 AM by Haderach
Posted by Haderach
07-26-2016 12:23 AM

Embrace the chaos with an open-mind. Think outside the box. Hysteria occurs when we’re to break a rule or act irrationally, act human, in order to do what we feel was the right thing to do. That’s how we develop lateral thinking, that’s how we reinvent the wheel and achieve epiphanies and discover breakthrough s and solve impossible problems. We feel, and recognize patterns relating to that feeling. That’s the closest one can come to communicating with something beyond our current perceptual limitations.

Edited 07-26-2016 12:26 AM by Haderach
Posted by Re Edgar..
07-26-2016 12:10 AM

32145 wrote:

KOS?

Posted by Haderach
07-26-2016 12:10 AM

Posted by Re Edgar..
07-25-2016 11:38 PM

32145 wrote: Logic becomes a trap. Feeling doesn’t. The point is to understand who you are, to feel human and when you take the plundge into the unknown without fear you find zen. Don’t let logic turn into a box. Those who can control their own thoughts the best are the best. Beliefs shape your version of reality, but it doesn’t happen all at once.

Look up timeless decision theory, it takes some time for the brains structure to change. The lucky few realize the world is artificial and sends feedback based on the mind of the agent. We’re all agents of a superior intellect.


It would take science to realize what you say if this was the total proof that was needed for humans to connect with a higher-power. Even Monks who believe all the world can potentially be altruistic still believe in genetics and science.

Most Spiritual experiences are very beyond reality, there’s no logic to something that needs no understanding when emotions and communal togetherness is the architecture of understanding building around you..

Posted by Haderach
07-25-2016 11:29 PM

Logic becomes a trap. Feeling doesn’t. The point is to understand who you are, to feel human and when you take the plundge into the unknown without fear you find zen. Don’t let logic turn into a box. Those who can control their own thoughts the best are the best. Beliefs shape your version of reality, but it doesn’t happen all at once.

Look up timeless decision theory, it takes some time for the brains structure to change. The lucky few realize the world is artificial and sends feedback based on the mind of the agent. We’re all agents of a superior intellect.

Edited 07-25-2016 11:30 PM by Haderach
Posted by Re Edgar..
07-25-2016 05:57 PM

Valaraukar wrote: If he doesn’t exist that question is absolutely meaningless. So the question if he exists has to be solved first to give this question here any relevance at all. By even asking this question you’re assuming that he exists, and that contradicts your reasonings.

Its a little bit of Recursive logic to get the point across that we need new methods, so it might have bean needed to be slightly hypocritical.

Up to ten (10) latest replies / posts from the original topic shown.

The Lounge Forums ©Silicon.dk ApS 2012 - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - FAQ - Contact