Remember me
[Forgot password?] [Register]
[Login]
menu

Moral topic: Religious kids vs Secular kids, who's more moral

[1]

[Reply] #1
11-08-2015 04:21 PM
Joined: 05-21-2013
Posts: 1,176
offline
Macho
Macho
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 26

[url]http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(15)01167-7[/url]

" Highlights
Family religious identification decreases children’s altruistic behaviors

Religiousness predicts parent-reported child sensitivity to injustices and empathy

Children from religious households are harsher in their punitive tendencies

" Here, we assessed altruism and third-party evaluation of scenarios depicting interpersonal harm in 1,170 children aged between 5 and 12 years in six countries (Canada, China, Jordan, Turkey, USA, and South Africa), the religiousness of their household, and parent-reported child empathy and sensitivity to justice. Across all countries, parents in religious households reported that their children expressed more empathy and sensitivity for justice in everyday life than non-religious parents. However, religiousness was inversely predictive of children’s altruism and positively correlated with their punitive tendencies. Together these results reveal the similarity across countries in how religion negatively influences children’s altruism, challenging the view that religiosity facilitates prosocial behavior.


http://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/2015/11/05/religion-morality/

Game, set, match.


__________________


“If I don’t, then who will!“-Goku
Im your huckleberry.- Doc Holiday
From me to you. Choke on it.- Kid Trunks

Edited 11-08-2015 04:25 PM by Macho
[Reply] #2
11-21-2015 05:01 PM
Joined: 05-11-2008
Posts: 16,512
offline
Helly The God
Helly The God
Jesi Master
Rep: 203

No one cares

[Reply] #3
11-21-2015 05:05 PM
El Matas
Guest

You do, so accurate statement. I concede.

[Reply] #4
11-21-2015 05:11 PM
Joined: 05-11-2008
Posts: 16,512
offline
Helly The God
Helly The God
Jesi Master
Rep: 203

I’m only here to make fun of you, so yes, it is indeed an accurate statement.

Damn, that was the quickest L you’ve ever taken, and this time you didn’t even try to resist. This is becoming less fun the more I break you down :S

[Reply] #5
12-26-2015 10:55 AM
Joined: 07-26-2014
Posts: 2,471
offline
Xennotraun
Xennotraun
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 23

Legit question: Why are you still trying?
No one on here is willing to have a civil discussion anymore.


__________________

[Reply] #6
12-31-2015 02:21 PM
Joined: 06-18-2013
Posts: 275
offline
Ricdog
Ricdog
Regular
Rep: 15

Neither really. Kids are never held to the same standards when it comes to consequences and ethical behavior. Until that is no longer the case, they don’t deserve to be labeled “moral” in any standard way.

[Reply] #7
01-04-2016 01:24 AM
Van Hohenheim NLI
Guest

You don’t think their early uprising molds their future morals/ethnic?

[Reply] #8
01-04-2016 01:28 AM
Van Hohenheim NLI
Guest

Xennotraun wrote: Legit question: Why are you still trying?
No one on here is willing to have a civil discussion anymore.


Would people that know of me find it amusing if I said I had faith?
It makes me chuckle so I’ll leave it at that.
And weren’t you one of those last battalion fellows? Whatever happened to them, I wasn’t expecting them to leave so soon.

[Reply] #9
01-06-2016 05:48 PM
Joined: 07-26-2014
Posts: 2,471
offline
Xennotraun
Xennotraun
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 23

Van Hohenheim NLI wrote:

Xennotraun wrote: Legit question: Why are you still trying?
No one on here is willing to have a civil discussion anymore.


Would people that know of me find it amusing if I said I had faith?
It makes me chuckle so I’ll leave it at that.
And weren’t you one of those last battalion fellows? Whatever happened to them, I wasn’t expecting them to leave so soon.


I never took the last battalion too seriously. I was mostly just jumping the bandwagon for fun.


__________________

[Reply] #10
01-08-2016 04:40 AM
Joined: 06-18-2013
Posts: 275
offline
Ricdog
Ricdog
Regular
Rep: 15

Van Hohenheim NLI wrote: You don’t think their early uprising molds their future morals/ethnic?



You could say that, but the topic is about kids and not when they grow up. And, at least in most western andncepts, children are usually always seen as dependent and thus incapable of fully being labeled based on their actions.

Edited 01-08-2016 04:41 AM by Ricdog
[Reply] #11
01-08-2016 11:26 PM
Les Matadot
Guest

Well it’s an implication that the kids are morally worse because of their upbringing which the parents are in charge of. And if the parents are religious they rub of or rather explicitly pass on failed moral principles to their kids. So we can see the kids as a reflection of the parent, and then when the kid grows up they repeat the cycle.

And it’s a good thing that they test the kids instead of the adults because the adults would hide their true motives and intentions while kids don’t.

[Reply] #12
01-08-2016 11:36 PM
Les Matadot
Guest

Xennotraun wrote:

Van Hohenheim NLI wrote:

Xennotraun wrote: Legit question: Why are you still trying?
No one on here is willing to have a civil discussion anymore.


Would people that know of me find it amusing if I said I had faith?
It makes me chuckle so I’ll leave it at that.
And weren’t you one of those last battalion fellows? Whatever happened to them, I wasn’t expecting them to leave so soon.


I never took the last battalion too seriously. I was mostly just jumping the bandwagon for fun.


A man doesn’t break promises, regardless of how frivolous they are.
I guess I answered your other question, I have principles.

[1]

New Reply
Name (guest):

For faster posting and no restrictions: [Login] [Register]

Message:


 
 

[More Options] [New Topic]
Moderated by: Phobetius, Zeroextra, - FS -, Admins, Superusers [All moderators]
The Lounge Forums ©Silicon.dk ApS 2012 - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - FAQ - Contact