Remember me
[Forgot password?] [Register]
[Login]
menu

How Much Longer Does Religion Have

<< First < Prev 1 [2] 3 Next > Last >>

[Reply] #21
05-11-2016 10:54 PM
Joined: 05-21-2013
Posts: 1,176
offline
Macho
Macho
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 26

Jedi Master wrote:

Macho wrote: Soviet Union wasn’t atheist, Stalin was god. Just like in North Korea.


1. There is no religion around Stalin.
2. Soviet and NK are atheist.


Wrong on both accounts.
1.) He had a cult, which is basically a religion.
2.) Neither is atheist as they both believe (the masses) that the ruler is some type of god.

http://www.examiner.com/article/refuting-the-myth-that-hitler-stalin-and-pol-pot-were-atheists-1

North Korea should be self-explanatory.


__________________


“If I don’t, then who will!“-Goku
“I’m your huckleberry.”- Doc Holiday
From me to you. Choke on it.- Kid Trunks

[Reply] #22
05-11-2016 11:58 PM
Upupupu....
Guest

pseudo intellectual topics like this are exactly why nobody likes you...

[Reply] #23
05-12-2016 12:12 AM
YE
Guest

There is always gonna be some nythingn coming out with a new religion...or some freaky cult

[Reply] #24
05-12-2016 03:59 AM
Joined: 06-18-2013
Posts: 275
offline
Ricdog
Ricdog
Regular
Rep: 15

Macho wrote:

Ricdog wrote:

Actually atheism was quite known and noticeably present in top academic and political positions for a long time now. Like you said, even from around 300 years ago. And although not the most popular, it wasn’t entirely hated.


Most of the time it didn’t have a happy ending for the non believer. So entirely hated? No, but close enough.

Ricdog wrote:
Really it was just the uneducated people (which obviously made most of the population) that probably didn’t have much of a favorable view of it, if any at all. Obviously now that modern societies provide basic education to all it’s citizens, more people simply know about the subject.

So really the increase in atheism hasn’t really given it any more credence than before, its just simply a reflection of the general population playing catch up to where modern intellectual’s stand on the issue.


You don’t think that the fact that intellectuals are more secular than the average population, is an indication of higher credibility for the non belief in god?
This question doesn’t really matter in the end. I already know your answer.


Ricdog wrote:
Well Stalin may have wanted to portray himself like one of those divine rulers, he never truly reached that status widely. Heck his own communist regime changed as soon as he died. Neither his high command or even the general population ever viewed him much more than simply a highly respected leader. But he definitely fell short of being seen as “divine” by most.

I can’t really speak about North Korea, since I don’t know much about studies on their demographic views.




Actually:
“Joseph Stalin’s cult of personality became a prominent part of Soviet culture in December 1929, after a lavish celebration for Stalin’s 50th birthday.[1] For the rest of Stalin’s rule, the Soviet press presented Stalin as an all-powerful, all-knowing leader, and Stalin’s name and image became omnipresent. From 1936 the Soviet journalism started to refer to Joseph Stalin as the Father of Nations."


" The cult of personality primarily existed among the Soviet masses; there was no explicit manifestation of the cult among the members of the Politburo and other high-ranking Party officials. "

The masses considered him a god, so it was widespread in Russia and the cult only died because it was destroyed by the government after his death.

" After Stalin’s death, Nikita Khrushchev’s 1956 “Secret Speech” to the Twentieth Party Congress famously denounced Stalin’s cult of personality, saying, “It is impermissible and foreign to the spirit of Marxism-Leninism to elevate one person, to transform him into a superman possessing supernatural characteristics akin to those of a god.“[22] The “Secret Speech” initiated a political reform, known as De-Stalinization, that sought to eradicate Stalin’s influence on the Soviet society."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin%27s_cult_of_personality

And North Korea is basically Russia when Stalin was alive, but worse.



Macho wrote:
Most of the time it didn’t have a happy ending for the non believer. So entirely hated? No, but close enough.



Like what type of non happy ending? Executed? As far as I know there was no witch hunt. Although the possibility of some forms of discrimination would have been prevalent, irreligious ideas were talked about both in institutions and governing. Heck Napoleon’s family and people around him (down to basic officers) were known to not be the most faithful.

Macho wrote:
You don’t think that the fact that intellectuals are more secular than the average population, is an indication of higher credibility for the non belief in god? This question doesn’t really matter in the end. I already know your answer.



Good that you know the answer. We wouldn’t want to be making an Appeal to Authority Fallacy.

But really the general answer would be that this is a sociological expectation for atheism (like rich people loving low tax policies on them), not an argumentative one.

Macho wrote:
The masses considered him a god, so it was widespread in Russia and the cult only died because it was destroyed by the government after his death.



Pretty false, with some truths. Stalin’s cult was basically a lesser form of Russia’s long love of its tzars and saints. Cult personalities can follow similar patterns to some religions in terms of praise, structure, and intolerance for criticism. But they generally fall short of being truly divine.

Stalin was in interesting case in that he did the best he could in making him seem like an infallible leader, and had great control of the media to influence the masses. He definitely had some qualities of being godlike. But ultimately his cult fell short since it’s very conception.

Stalin’s cult was just a response to the universal love of Lenin. Stalin was still seen as simply a follower of Lenin years into his rule, and there are conflicting reports as to whether he was okay with this or not. But ultimately Lenin’s criticisms of Stalin were well known all throughout Russia. And ultimately his cult died the moment he did (although he still remained fairly popular). Thus although it had its very devoted followers, the cult was never reached the level of being seen as “sacred” or worthy of religious worship.

But regardless Macho, Stalin was just one era of the soviet union. The fact is that by the time of the cold war up until the mid 80’s atheism was clearly the major held belief by the populace, from 70-80%. Wasn’t until late 80s that religious belief started to have great increases in Russia.

As for North Korea I can’t say much about it since I don’t really look into it.

[Reply] #25
05-14-2016 06:17 PM
Joined: 05-21-2013
Posts: 1,176
offline
Macho
Macho
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 26

Upupupu.... wrote: pseudo intellectual topics like this are exactly why nobody likes you...


If I wasn’t an intellectual then the opinion of the masses would bother me. Your comment doesn’t bother me, “Upu...".
And I don’t pick on people for bad grammar; as that is below me, but this made my skin crawl a little.


__________________


“If I don’t, then who will!“-Goku
“I’m your huckleberry.”- Doc Holiday
From me to you. Choke on it.- Kid Trunks

[Reply] #26
05-14-2016 06:24 PM
Joined: 05-21-2013
Posts: 1,176
offline
Macho
Macho
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 26

Ricdog wrote:
Pretty false, with some truths. Stalin’s cult was basically a lesser form of Russia’s long love of its tzars and saints. Cult personalities can follow similar patterns to some religions in terms of praise, structure, and intolerance for criticism. But they generally fall short of being truly divine.

Stalin was in interesting case in that he did the best he could in making him seem like an infallible leader, and had great control of the media to influence the masses. He definitely had some qualities of being godlike. But ultimately his cult fell short since it’s very conception.

Stalin’s cult was just a response to the universal love of Lenin. Stalin was still seen as simply a follower of Lenin years into his rule, and there are conflicting reports as to whether he was okay with this or not. But ultimately Lenin’s criticisms of Stalin were well known all throughout Russia. And ultimately his cult died the moment he did (although he still remained fairly popular). Thus although it had its very devoted followers, the cult was never reached the level of being seen as “sacred” or worthy of religious worship.

But regardless Macho, Stalin was just one era of the soviet union. The fact is that by the time of the cold war up until the mid 80’s atheism was clearly the major held belief by the populace, from 70-80%. Wasn’t until late 80s that religious belief started to have great increases in Russia.

As for North Korea I can’t say much about it since I don’t really look into it.


Ricdog, I’m not really interested in debates.


__________________


“If I don’t, then who will!“-Goku
“I’m your huckleberry.”- Doc Holiday
From me to you. Choke on it.- Kid Trunks

Edited 05-16-2016 08:21 PM by Macho
[Reply] #27
05-15-2016 04:28 PM
Upupupu....
Guest

Macho wrote:

Upupupu.... wrote: pseudo intellectual topics like this are exactly why nobody likes you...


If I wasn’t an intellectual then the opinion of the masses would bother me. Your comment doesn’t bother me, “Upu...".
And I don’t pick on people for bad grammar; as that is below me, but this made my skin crawl a little.


Acting as if you somehow have the intellectual high ground doesn’t somehow give you a win, you mentally-stagnant troglodyte.

And no, it’s not grammatically incorrect, because “this” is describing *this* thread. Intellectual topics such as this [one] are why nobody likes you. So I’d suggest you get your head out of your ass and stop acting like a grammar nazi when you can’t even correct a single sentence you simpleton with an overblown ego.

[Reply] #28
05-15-2016 07:41 PM
Joined: 05-21-2013
Posts: 1,176
offline
Macho
Macho
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 26

Upupupu.... wrote:
Acting as if you somehow have the intellectual high ground doesn’t somehow give you a win, you mentally-stagnant troglodyte.



And no, it’s not grammatically incorrect, because “this” is describing *this* thread. Intellectual topics such as this [one] are why nobody likes you. So I’d suggest you get your head out of your ass and stop acting like a grammar nazi when you can’t even correct a single sentence you simpleton with an overblown ego.


I find it fascinating that now you’re trying to use proper grammar after I pointed out a little mistake. Why are you trying so hard to impress me?
I never said it did. A “win”? Since when are we competing? Correcting me if I am incorrect but we were discussing public opinion, not winning or losing.
“troglodyte”, hi there, Tomie.

When you have to change the sentence so it makes sense, that’s when you know you fucked up. Anyway:

“top·ic
&#712;
plural noun: topics

“We use this and that with singular countable or uncountable nouns, but not with plural nouns. This refers to something near the speaker; that refers to something further away:

That film was fantastic. (countable)

This furniture is so ugly! (uncountable)

For plural nouns, we use these and those.


http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/grammar/british-grammar/determiners-and-types-of-noun


Does this really make sense to you " pseudo intellectual topics like this "?
It’s like saying " The flowers like this are colorful”. Pure gibberish.

If you make a grammar mistake don’t try to correct it by applying your ignorance. It just makes you look worse.


__________________


“If I don’t, then who will!“-Goku
“I’m your huckleberry.”- Doc Holiday
From me to you. Choke on it.- Kid Trunks

[Reply] #29
05-15-2016 08:16 PM
How fucking stupid can you get...
Guest

What “this” is referring to is THIS THREAD. This thread is only one thread as far as I can tell, and I hope it should be the same for you. Since this is ONE thread, singular pronouns such as “this” can be used to refer to it. In this sentence “pseudo-intellectual topics” is the subject of comparison via simile, and is not being used in any other way. Therefore the plural “pseudo-intellectual topics” and the singular “this” can be used in the same sentence without being grammatically incorrect.

At first I couldn’t believe I had to explain something so basic to you, but I remembered that you’re a retard with a huge sense of self-importance.

Also, I’m not tomie dumbass, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

[Reply] #30
05-15-2016 09:32 PM
Joined: 07-26-2014
Posts: 2,470
offline
Xennotraun
Xennotraun
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 23

How fucking stupid can you get... wrote: What “this” is referring to is THIS THREAD. This thread is only one thread as far as I can tell, and I hope it should be the same for you. Since this is ONE thread, singular pronouns such as “this” can be used to refer to it. In this sentence “pseudo-intellectual topics” is the subject of comparison via simile, and is not being used in any other way. Therefore the plural “pseudo-intellectual topics” and the singular “this” can be used in the same sentence without being grammatically incorrect.

At first I couldn’t believe I had to explain something so basic to you, but I remembered that you’re a retard with a huge sense of self-importance.

Also, I’m not tomie dumbass, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL


Dude
Chill


__________________

[Reply] #31
05-15-2016 10:03 PM
Upupupu....
Guest

Xennotraun wrote:

How fucking stupid can you get... wrote: What “this” is referring to is THIS THREAD. This thread is only one thread as far as I can tell, and I hope it should be the same for you. Since this is ONE thread, singular pronouns such as “this” can be used to refer to it. In this sentence “pseudo-intellectual topics” is the subject of comparison via simile, and is not being used in any other way. Therefore the plural “pseudo-intellectual topics” and the singular “this” can be used in the same sentence without being grammatically incorrect.

At first I couldn’t believe I had to explain something so basic to you, but I remembered that you’re a retard with a huge sense of self-importance.

Also, I’m not tomie dumbass, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL


Dude
Chill


I am chill, it’s just impossible to talk to this ignoramus.

[Reply] #32
05-15-2016 10:41 PM
Joined: 05-21-2013
Posts: 1,176
offline
Macho
Macho
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 26

How fucking stupid can you get... wrote: What “this” is referring to is THIS THREAD.


No shit.

U wrote:
This thread is only one thread as far as I can tell, and I hope it should be the same for you.


“Topics”, really?

U wrote:
Since this is ONE thread, singular pronouns such as “this” can be used to refer to it.


You were talking about “topic(s)", not a topic. Topics is a plural noun as I already pointed out and you even know that “this” is a singular pronoun. You wouldn’t say “Nice flowers like this”. Again:
“We use this and that with singular countable or uncountable nouns, but not with plural nouns. This refers to something near the speaker; that refers to something further away:

That film was fantastic. (countable)

This furniture is so ugly! (uncountable)

For plural nouns, we use these and those.

U wrote:
In this sentence “pseudo-intellectual topics” is the subject of comparison via simile,


1.) Now it’s “pseudo-intellectual” but before it was “pseudo intellectual”. You keep changing what you said and making up nonsense grammar rules.

2.) “pseudo-intellectual topics” is not one word.

3.) Do you understand what a simile is? Just because you use “like” doesn’t make it a simile.

4.) “pseudo-intellectual topic” is not a sentence.

U wrote:
and is not being used in any other way.


How does that magically negate the current concession of grammar?

U wrote:
Therefore the plural “pseudo-intellectual topics” and the singular “this” can be used in the same sentence without being grammatically incorrect.


Really, show me an example. It shouldn’t be too hard, right?

U wrote:
At first I couldn’t believe I had to explain something so basic to you, but I remembered that you’re a retard with a huge sense of self-importance.


You’re a bonafide idiot.

U wrote:
Also, I’m not tomie dumbass, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL


Tomie is the only person to use “troglodyte”, but I guess Tomie wouldn’t hide as a guest.

But like I told Ricdog, I am not interested in debating facts.


__________________


“If I don’t, then who will!“-Goku
“I’m your huckleberry.”- Doc Holiday
From me to you. Choke on it.- Kid Trunks

[Reply] #33
05-15-2016 11:10 PM
Upupupu youre fucking stupid
Guest

Mataderp wrote: No shit.


Good, I’m glad you’re aware of at least that much.

“Topics”, really?


Semantics. Anything else?

You were talking about “topic(s)", not a topic. Topics is a plural noun as I already pointed out and you even know that “this” is a singular pronoun. You wouldn’t say “Nice flowers like this”. Again:
“We use this and that with singular countable or uncountable nouns, but not with plural nouns. This refers to something near the speaker; that refers to something further away:

That film was fantastic. (countable)

This furniture is so ugly! (uncountable)


Again, semantics. However, this time it’s even sadder because regardless of threads or topics, the fact remains that “topics” is being used as a modifier via simile, and therefore is not the object of the sentence. The object of the sentence is “this” as in THIS THREAD/TOPIC, so “this” is singular.


1.) Now it’s “pseudo-intellectual” but before it was “pseudo intellectual”. You keep changing what you said and making up nonsense grammar rules.

2.) “pseudo-intellectual topics” is not one word.

3.) Do you understand what a simile is? Just because you use “like” doesn’t make it a simile.

4.) “pseudo-intellectual topic” is not a sentence.


1. Are you really making a deal out of me forgetting to put a hyphen every time I mention “pseudo-intellectual?" Really? Are you legitimately being serious right now?

2. It’s not one word, but it’s a phrase. and a phrase can be used as a modifier, and as such is treated as an adjective in this situation.

3. Simile is a comparison using like or as. I am comparing this thread to other pseudo-intellecutal threads made by you that are like this, which is the reason why nobody likes you. So yes, it *is* simile.

4. And? Do you actually know what a “phrase” is?

How does that magically negate the current concession of grammar?


You’re literally pulling shit out of your ass at this point. Because it’s being used as an adjective, it is neither the subject or the object of the sentence, and as such is not being referred to by “this”.

Really, show me an example. It shouldn’t be too hard, right?


“Dumb things that you say like this are exactly why people avoid you."

“things” in this sentence is plural, but it’s part of a phrase “dumb things that you say”, so the phrase is collectively treated as a singular adjective. Was that really too hard to understand?

You’re a bonafide idiot.


Great comeback. You must be so proud of yourself.


Tomie is the only person to use “troglodyte”, but I guess Tomie wouldn’t hide as a guest.

But like I told Ricdog, I am not interested in debating facts.


Tomie is the only person you’ve ever heard use that word, therefore anyone who uses that word must be tomie. Excellent logic, sherlock! I can’t pull the wool over your eyes!

Since you don’t know who I am, my identity is not a fact, to you anyway. But I guess all this stupidity I’ve heard from you should have told me long before that logic is not your strong suit...

[Reply] #34
05-15-2016 11:13 PM
Upupupu youre fucking stupid
Guest

Correction;

'topics' isn’t the modifier, 'pseudo-intellectual threads like this' is the modifier.

And with that I’m done.

Maybe you’ll actually learn something from this, but I doubt it.

[Reply] #35
05-15-2016 11:21 PM
Raiken Lowell
Guest

kys

[Reply] #36
05-15-2016 11:26 PM
The Matador
Guest

Lmao, all of what you said was a failure, but this takes the cake.

“Dumb things that you say like this are exactly why people avoid you."
Your English teacher must be proud.

[Reply] #37
05-15-2016 11:30 PM
The Matador
Guest

Upupupu youre fucking stupid wrote: Correction;

'topics' isn’t the modifier, 'pseudo-intellectual threads like this' is the modifier.

And with that I’m done.

Maybe you’ll actually learn something from this, but I doubt it.


“Upupupu youre fucking stupid”
Even you know you’re stupid. Now it’s “threads” not “topics”, and it’s still wrong.

The only person I know that can fail this hard and still thinks he won is Hellfigher. You’re on Hellfighters tier, how does that make you feel?

[Reply] #38
05-16-2016 12:34 AM
Upupupu youre a dumbass
Guest

The Matador wrote: Lmao, all of what you said was a failure, but this takes the cake.

“Dumb things that you say like this are exactly why people avoid you."
Your English teacher must be proud.


I imagine whoever taught you grammar is rolling in their early grave, finding fault in grammatically correct sentences. But I wouldn’t expect any more from you, so it’s okay.

[Reply] #39
05-16-2016 12:36 AM
Upupupu....
Guest

The Matador wrote:

Upupupu youre fucking stupid wrote: Correction;

'topics' isn’t the modifier, 'pseudo-intellectual threads like this' is the modifier.

And with that I’m done.

Maybe you’ll actually learn something from this, but I doubt it.


“Upupupu youre fucking stupid”
Even you know you’re stupid. Now it’s “threads” not “topics”, and it’s still wrong.

The only person I know that can fail this hard and still thinks he won is Hellfigher. You’re on Hellfighters tier, how does that make you feel?


So you put me on smelly’s level, who destroys your anus on a daily basis.

Congratulations, you just played yourself.


Also, arguing semantics is a sure sign that someone doesn’t actually have a substantial argument. GJ.

[Reply] #40
05-16-2016 01:40 AM
Upu is dumb
Guest

Upupupu.... wrote: pseudo intellectual topics like this are exactly why nobody likes you...


Topics=many
This=one
Are=many
Grammar level = 0

<< First < Prev 1 [2] 3 Next > Last >>

New Reply
Name (guest):

For faster posting and no restrictions: [Login] [Register]

Message:


 
 

[More Options] [New Topic]
Moderated by: Phobetius, Zeroextra, - FS -, Admins, Superusers [All moderators]
The Lounge Forums ©Silicon.dk ApS 2012 - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - FAQ - Contact