Remember me
[Forgot password?] [Register]
[Login]
menu

Analyzing Text

<< First < Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next > Last >>

[Reply] #41
02-11-2015 09:15 PM
Joined: 10-03-2012
Posts: 20,035
offline
Tomie
Tomie
Hi!
Rep: 127

Fine carry on then.


__________________

Alpha and Omega wrote:
Science is even bigger bullshit lol, they believe the big bang created everything from 2 atoms colliding together or some shit, they tried to do the same thing in 2008 spending 10 billion dollars doing it, but the risk was a very small black hole being made if failed, they failed and no black hole was created also.

[Reply] #42
02-11-2015 09:15 PM
Joined: 01-07-2014
Posts: 540
offline
Magikarp Jr.
Magikarp Jr.
Regular
Rep: 9

Tomie wrote: Why is this vs shit in literature?



Remember that time you had vs stuff in science? Pepperidge farm remembers.


__________________


“Empty reflections of the moon” - Sage King Zhen Chen

[Reply] #43
02-11-2015 09:17 PM
Joined: 10-03-2012
Posts: 20,035
offline
Tomie
Tomie
Hi!
Rep: 127

Sweet JP wrote: Remember that time you had vs stuff in science? Pepperidge farm remembers.[/url]



That’s why I brought it up.


__________________

Alpha and Omega wrote:
Science is even bigger bullshit lol, they believe the big bang created everything from 2 atoms colliding together or some shit, they tried to do the same thing in 2008 spending 10 billion dollars doing it, but the risk was a very small black hole being made if failed, they failed and no black hole was created also.

[Reply] #44
02-11-2015 09:18 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

Tomie, what do you think about OP’s quasi-pseudo analysis?


__________________

[Reply] #45
02-11-2015 09:19 PM
Joined: 10-13-2014
Posts: 1,425
offline
Gats
Gats
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 22

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote: Tomie, what do you think about OP’s quasi-pseudo analysis?

a conspiracy in disguize


__________________


Tactician wrote: Yuri is hetero porn

[Reply] #46
02-11-2015 09:21 PM
Joined: 10-03-2012
Posts: 20,035
offline
Tomie
Tomie
Hi!
Rep: 127

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote: Tomie, what do you think about OP’s quasi-pseudo analysis?



I think it’s within the realm of possibility. Think about all the crazy statements we’ve seen that later turn out to be true. Maybe not right away. Some are hyperbole, but it depends.


__________________

Alpha and Omega wrote:
Science is even bigger bullshit lol, they believe the big bang created everything from 2 atoms colliding together or some shit, they tried to do the same thing in 2008 spending 10 billion dollars doing it, but the risk was a very small black hole being made if failed, they failed and no black hole was created also.

[Reply] #47
02-11-2015 09:21 PM
Van Hohenheim NLI
Guest

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote: I saw you derping in it as soon as I got here.

And no shit, omnipotence is used more casually in this sense but the meaning is very clear dumbas. And it’s not only “comicbooks” that use the term, I remember some old literature using it as well.


Scans below.


Sure...


om·nip·o·tent
&#716;äm&#712;nip&#601;d(&#601winknt/
adjective
1.
(of a deity) having unlimited power; able to do anything.
synonyms: all-powerful, almighty, supreme, preeminent, most high; More

Hence, why it’s a figure of speech and not literal.
If it’s used any other way, then it’s not literal even in other pieces of writing.


Spoiler that.

[Reply] #48
02-11-2015 09:26 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

Van Hohenheim NLI wrote:

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote: I saw you derping in it as soon as I got here.

And no shit, omnipotence is used more casually in this sense but the meaning is very clear dumbas. And it’s not only “comicbooks” that use the term, I remember some old literature using it as well.


Scans below.


Sure...


om·nip·o·tent
&#716;äm&#712;nip&#601;d(&#601winknt/
adjective
1.
(of a deity) having unlimited power; able to do anything.
synonyms: all-powerful, almighty, supreme, preeminent, most high; More

Hence, why it’s a figure of speech and not literal.
If it’s used any other way, then it’s not literal even in other pieces of writing.


Spoiler that.

Odin is a supreme being and all-powerful within the realm of asgard, it’s also just usually synonymously with above the rest in authority and having great influence.

Analyzing Text


__________________

[Reply] #49
02-11-2015 09:28 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

Tomie wrote:

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote: Tomie, what do you think about OP’s quasi-pseudo analysis?



I think it’s within the realm of possibility. Think about all the crazy statements we’ve seen that later turn out to be true. Maybe not right away. Some are hyperbole, but it depends.

Sure but it’s highly unlikely Freyja was referring to Odin’s “emotions” when she spoke about burning the angel with the fire of molten stars, especially when the imagery depicts Odin doing just that, burning the enemy alive with some sort of plasmic burst.


__________________

[Reply] #50
02-11-2015 09:30 PM
Joined: 10-03-2012
Posts: 20,035
offline
Tomie
Tomie
Hi!
Rep: 127

Why would Odin not be able to hit someone with energy comparable to Stars when he’s done so before?


__________________

Alpha and Omega wrote:
Science is even bigger bullshit lol, they believe the big bang created everything from 2 atoms colliding together or some shit, they tried to do the same thing in 2008 spending 10 billion dollars doing it, but the risk was a very small black hole being made if failed, they failed and no black hole was created also.

[Reply] #51
02-11-2015 09:34 PM
Van Hohenheim NLI
Guest

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote: Odin is a supreme being and all-powerful within the realm of asgard, it’s also just usually synonymously with above the rest in authority and having great influence.


He might be the strongest in Asgard, but he’s not the supreme being of MARVEL.

If it’s used in that way, then it’s a figure of speech. The original meaning is clear, using the word all powerful to describe your power after you beat a guy at arm wrestling, is a figure of speech.
You’re not literally, all powerful. I don’t understand how you don’t get this.

[Reply] #52
02-11-2015 09:35 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

Tomie wrote: Why would Odin not be able to hit someone with energy comparable to Stars when he’s done so before?

Idk, ask the OP. He seems to have an excuse for every occasion.




Let’s see if he can come up with an excuse now, gonna be pretty difficult to spout some “metaphoric” bullshit since “literally” was used.


__________________

Edited 02-11-2015 09:36 PM by Deus Ex Nihilo
[Reply] #53
02-11-2015 09:37 PM
Joined: 10-03-2012
Posts: 20,035
offline
Tomie
Tomie
Hi!
Rep: 127

This is getting silly now, I’m vacating this thread.


__________________

Alpha and Omega wrote:
Science is even bigger bullshit lol, they believe the big bang created everything from 2 atoms colliding together or some shit, they tried to do the same thing in 2008 spending 10 billion dollars doing it, but the risk was a very small black hole being made if failed, they failed and no black hole was created also.

[Reply] #54
02-11-2015 09:38 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

Van Hohenheim NLI wrote:

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote: Odin is a supreme being and all-powerful within the realm of asgard, it’s also just usually synonymously with above the rest in authority and having great influence.


He might be the strongest in Asgard, but he’s not the supreme being of MARVEL.

If it’s used in that way, then it’s a figure of speech. The original meaning is clear, using the word all powerful to describe your power after you beat a guy at arm wrestling, is a figure of speech.
You’re not literally, all powerful. I don’t understand how you don’t get this.

Ok, we already know there is a literally meaning and a figurative meaning. So what’s your point? Although In the other 3 scans, they are more than likely talking about the fact that Odin and Galactus hold nearly omnipotent powers and can cause almost any desired effect with them.


__________________

[Reply] #55
02-11-2015 09:39 PM
Van Hohenheim NLI
Guest

Tomie wrote: Why would Odin not be able to hit someone with energy comparable to Stars when he’s done so before?


You agree, that the attack was literally “FIRE OF MOLTEN STARS”?
This discussion isn’t about what Odin has done before. It’s about the sentence, hence why it’s in literature.

I find it ironic, that Tez is so relentless in perusing the notion that the sentence is literal; when kid Goku was said to be faster than lightning he immediately claimed it was a metaphor.
But this is just a side note, not of importance.

[Reply] #56
02-11-2015 09:43 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

Goku was never said to be faster than lightning, in that popo instance it was an obvious metaphor because Popo kept saying “You must be calm as the sky and as fast as lightning”, that’s no different than Mulan’s “you must be quick as the coursing river, with all the strength of a great typhoon”.



In this instance though, since the imagery depicts Odin frying another being alive with a very power energy burst(Hence Freyja saying the Odinforce is rising within him and bursting forth) it’s safe to say the statement can be taken literally in some sense, but I digress.


__________________

[Reply] #57
02-11-2015 09:46 PM
Van Hohenheim NLI
Guest

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote: Ok, we already know there is a literally meaning and a figurative meaning. So what’s your point? Although In the other 3 scans, they are more than likely talking about the fact that Odin and Galactus hold nearly omnipotent powers and can cause almost any desired effect with them.



Tez:“omnipotent is not a figure of speech”
Us:“yes it is, here is why."
Tez:“in comics it’s not used like that( literally)"
Us:“That’s what we’re telling you”
Tez:" I already knew it was a figure of speech, so what’s your point?"

There is no way to debate with stupid people.

[Reply] #58
02-11-2015 09:51 PM
Van Hohenheim NLI
Guest

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote: Goku was never said to be faster than lightning, in that popo instance it was an obvious metaphor because Popo kept saying “You must be calm as the sky and as fast as lightning”, that’s no different than Mulan’s “you must be quick as the coursing river, with all the strength of a great typhoon”.


Lol.


“Bursting forth with his rage and pain, burning the enemy with the fire of molten stars”

Tez wrote:
In this instance though, since the imagery depicts Odin frying another being alive with a very power energy burst(Hence Freyja saying the Odinforce is rising within him and bursting forth) it’s safe to say the statement can be taken literally in some sense, but I digress.


So there is literally “fire” in the imagery? I see lighting, but not fire.
And the fire is literally “molten stars”?

[Reply] #59
02-11-2015 09:56 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

Van Hohenheim NLI wrote:

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote: Ok, we already know there is a literally meaning and a figurative meaning. So what’s your point? Although In the other 3 scans, they are more than likely talking about the fact that Odin and Galactus hold nearly omnipotent powers and can cause almost any desired effect with them.



Tez:“omnipotent is not a figure of speech”
Us:“yes it is, here is why."
Tez:“in comics it’s not used like that( literally)"
Us:“That’s what we’re telling you”
Tez:" I already knew it was a figure of speech, so what’s your point?"

There is no way to debate with stupid people.

Usually a metaphor uses a different example to represent something else, but in this case it’s just another synonymous definition of Omnipotent you retard. It’s a more casual and loose use of the term but now that I think about it, it isn’t actually a metaphor in a traditional sense at all.


__________________

[Reply] #60
02-11-2015 09:56 PM
Van Hohenheim NLI
Guest

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote:

Tomie wrote: Why would Odin not be able to hit someone with energy comparable to Stars when he’s done so before?

Idk, ask the OP. He seems to have an excuse for every occasion.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/3sNb9XA.png[/img]


Let’s see if he can come up with an excuse now, gonna be pretty difficult to spout some “metaphoric” bullshit since “literally” was used.


Yeah and I literally finished my homework in no time.
I literally, dodged a bullet.
You literally, dug your own grave.

<< First < Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next > Last >>

New Reply
Name (guest):

For faster posting and no restrictions: [Login] [Register]

Message:


 
 

[More Options] [New Topic]
Moderated by: Phobetius, Zeroextra, - FS -, Admins, Superusers [All moderators]
The Lounge Forums ©Silicon.dk ApS 2012 - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - FAQ - Contact