Remember me
[Forgot password?] [Register]
[Login]
menu

Analyzing Text

[1] 2 3 4 Next > Last >>

[Reply] #1
02-10-2015 03:51 PM
Joined: 05-21-2013
Posts: 1,176
offline
Macho
Macho
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 26

This thread is for the purpose of discussion literature work of any kind. If you don’t want to make a separate thread, then you’re welcome to use this thread to ask a question of interpreting or analyzing text.

To get started, I’d like to inquire the help of MVC, in determining if this sentence is literal or figurative:

“Bursting forth with his rage and pain, burning the enemy with the fire of molten stars”

In my opinion, this sentence couldn’t be more figurative, but a person thinks that we should take some parts literal and use occam razor.
But only to a certain extent, according to the individual the first part of the sentence is of no real importance to the overall sentence. It’s merely a transition, hence the comma. I do not agree with this notion, to think this would be a mistake.
Even if the comma was to indicate a transition,(and not another of it’s many uses) it doesn’t make the first part of the sentence unrelated to the second, as he seems to imply.

Keep this in mind, the real question is: [The question is if the attack is literally “fire of molten stars”]

I’d like to give my interpretation of the sentence:
“Bursting forth with his rage and pain, burning the enemy with the fire of molten stars”
This statement was made by Thor’s mother after her daughter was thought to be killed. Odin, in a fit of rage, attacks the Heven that stabbed the child.

Based on the constant figurative language and the sentence, itself, I concluded that it’s couldn’t be any more figurate.
According to the sentence: What is being burst forth is linked with his “rage and pain”. The way the sentence is written, is implying that the attack, in itself, is “rage and pain”. This is the first indication that the sentence is using figurative language and thus the attack is not literally “fire of molten stars”.
Examples of the phrase “Bursting forth”, in more media:
http://www.webwriter.f2s.com/moody/lyrics/toccc.htm
" Blasting, billowing, bursting forth
With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes
Man,
with his flaming pyre
Has conquered the wayward breezes”


Moving on, to the next part of the sentence: “burning the enemy with fire of molten stars”. The scan is posted below, anyone can see that the attack is not fire, at all. The person arguing that the the second part of the sentence is literal claims that fire is usually referred as fire, what he doesn’t tell or doesn’t understand is that--that in-itself is a metaphor. This can not get anymore clear than this.
“molten stars”, to my knowledge, there is no such thing as molten stars. It’s clear to most that this is a metaphor like “time is money” or “ice cold lyrics”.
And generally fire is associated with fire, that’s probably why the word fire was used in the first place.

Now that I broke down the sentence, I’d like to put it together and analyze it in context.
“Bursting forth with his rage and pain, burning the enemy with the fire of molten stars”
So the attack is being described as being with his “rage and pain”, so the attack is, in itself, “rage and pain”. And his “rage and pain” is being described as “fire of molten stars”.


Feel free to add, relevant and useful input.


The phrase is from this comic scan.


This is more context. The conversation is connected, so the tone is easy to understand an is linear.


“You spoke of fire. Of blood. Of a war that makes all conflicts since seem like the shadows of a child’s game”.


"...But I lived it. And it cost me all”.


__________________


“If I don’t, then who will!“-Goku
“I’m your huckleberry.”- Doc Holiday
From me to you. Choke on it.- Kid Trunks

Edited 02-10-2015 04:00 PM by Macho
[Reply] #2
02-10-2015 04:59 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

Bumping so people can see OP’s retardism.


__________________

[Reply] #3
02-10-2015 09:12 PM
Joined: 05-21-2013
Posts: 1,176
offline
Macho
Macho
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 26

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote: Bumping so people can see OP’s retardism.



You cry like a little bitch to leave you alone and even though I respected your wish and didn’t name your stupid-ass, so you wouldn’t be embarrassed.
You still come in here with your two-inch-dick up and acting like you won.



Deus Ex Nihilo wrote: Yeah, you can get some literature enthusiast and several other people to deconstruct the stupid ass theory you have of that statement in any way, shape, or form being metaphoric besides the “molten” part and leave me the hell alone.



Bitch, shut the fuck up. I was feeling pity for you because I thought I was overdoing it by putting your stupidity and ignorance on the spot. But now, I’ma slam your ass down and not feel an ounce of remorse.

Now pick up your soggy as pants and bounce.


__________________


“If I don’t, then who will!“-Goku
“I’m your huckleberry.”- Doc Holiday
From me to you. Choke on it.- Kid Trunks

Edited 02-10-2015 09:28 PM by Macho
[Reply] #4
02-10-2015 09:22 PM
Joined: 01-09-2013
Posts: 14,109
offline
Ori
Ori
Hyperactive Vagabond
Rep: 107

Pff. He obviously shot the enemy with star lava.


__________________

[Reply] #5
02-10-2015 09:23 PM
Joined: 03-25-2011
Posts: 13,322
offline
Jurassic DIO
Jurassic DIO
Fabulous lizard man
Rep: 147

“Leave me alone”. I thought you said you were War Oo


__________________

[Reply] #6
02-10-2015 09:31 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

Van Hohenheim wrote:

You cry like a little bitch to leave you alone and even though I respected your wish and didn’t name your stupid-ass, so you wouldn’t be embarrassed.
You still come in here with your two-inch-dick up and acting like you won.

Lol I have two inch dick then yet you’re the one angry, be mellow stranger. I said leave me alone because I was sick of going back and forth with your retarded ass arguments, I’m not going to address them anymore but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to make fun of you for being stupid.



Bitch, shut the fuck up. I was feeling pity for you because I thought I was overdoing it by putting your stupidity and ignorance on the spot. But now, I’ma slam your ass down and not feel an ounce of remorse.

Wow, you took that WAY out of context then lmao. I said leave me alone because your arguments are circular, I’d debunked them a million times, and you were still bringing up the same stupid shit so I figured I’d let you go ahead and make a thread so some other poor sap can destroy your philosophically-illiterate ass.


__________________

Edited 02-10-2015 09:32 PM by Deus Ex Nihilo
[Reply] #7
02-10-2015 09:33 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

Pride The Solo King wrote: “Leave me alone”. I thought you said you were War Oo

I thought you retired after that Whis staff exposal incident?


__________________

[Reply] #8
02-10-2015 09:39 PM
Joined: 03-25-2011
Posts: 13,322
offline
Jurassic DIO
Jurassic DIO
Fabulous lizard man
Rep: 147

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote:

Pride The Solo King wrote: “Leave me alone”. I thought you said you were War Oo

I thought you retired after that Whis staff exposal incident?


Lulwut?You have yet to prove he used his staff as a starship. Daizenchuu does not say its purpose,so you are left with speculation.


__________________

Edited 02-10-2015 09:39 PM by Jurassic DIO
[Reply] #9
02-10-2015 09:48 PM
Joined: 05-21-2013
Posts: 1,176
offline
Macho
Macho
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 26

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote:

Van Hohenheim wrote:

You cry like a little bitch to leave you alone and even though I respected your wish and didn’t name your stupid-ass, so you wouldn’t be embarrassed.
You still come in here with your two-inch-dick up and acting like you won.

Lol I have two inch dick then yet you’re the one angry, be mellow stranger. I said leave me alone because I was sick of going back and forth with your retarded ass arguments, I’m not going to address them anymore but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to make fun of you for being stupid.



Bitch, shut the fuck up. I was feeling pity for you because I thought I was overdoing it by putting your stupidity and ignorance on the spot. But now, I’ma slam your ass down and not feel an ounce of remorse.

Wow, you took that WAY out of context then lmao. I said leave me alone because your arguments are circular, I’d debunked them a million times, and you were still bringing up the same stupid shit so I figured I’d let you go ahead and make a thread so some other poor sap can destroy your philosophically-illiterate ass.


Taking things out-of-context, is cropping a comic image to wank Thor.
I posted your whole quote.

Honestly, stfu. There is no way to debate with you because everything you say, you don’t literally mean it or you don’t mean it like that. No one believes you, kid.
Take your beating like a man and fade.

Yet, another gem from Tez.

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote:

El Mata wrote: Stop lying, nobody that read the other thread believes you. If you already knew plasma was lightning you would have brought it up a few days ago, not now.
I noticed you only started to associate lighting with plasma in the other thread I made about you in Science (called: Is plasma a liquid substance)
It’s obvious you only now started to do research on plasma.


Wether I learned that lightning was made of plasma today or tommorow does not in any way influence the debate you fucking idiot, so is this just a pissing contest or what with you? You are the one who sounds like you didn’t know what plasma was until you apparently visited a wikipedia article lmfao since you obviously KNEW it was on a wikipedia article.



Wait let me guess, you didn’t mean that or I took it out of context.


__________________


“If I don’t, then who will!“-Goku
“I’m your huckleberry.”- Doc Holiday
From me to you. Choke on it.- Kid Trunks

Edited 02-10-2015 09:50 PM by Macho
[Reply] #10
02-10-2015 09:54 PM
Joined: 01-09-2013
Posts: 14,109
offline
Ori
Ori
Hyperactive Vagabond
Rep: 107

I think that analyzing text is stupid in every way. There’s nothing to be read into about anything. There’s no real purpose other than being a try hard pseudo intellectual English teacher wannabe ass nerd blossom. I take what I read in a literal sense because fiction is meant to be fictional, not metaphorical. There’s no deeper meaning to it, it’s all just for entertainment.


__________________

[Reply] #11
02-10-2015 09:55 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

Van Hohenheim wrote:
Taking things out-of-context, is cropping a comic image to wank Thor.
I posted your whole quote.

Yeah because you’re trying to paint me as some pitiful beaten dog, when in reality I’m just sick of debating with an idiot who won’t stop jerking himself off.


Honestly, stfu. There is no way to debate with you because everything you say, you don’t literally mean it or you don’t mean it like that. No one believes you, kid.
Take your beating like a man and fade.

I see quite a few people in the “is plasma a liquid” thread you made seemed to interpret what I said just fine, all except for you lol but you’re always quoting shit out of context to try and make someone look bad or quote mining, because you can’t properly debate so that’s the only good tactic you have in your mind.



Wait let me guess, you didn’t mean that or I took it out of context.

Honestly, Don’t even see your point. You apparently knew that lightning was called plasma on wikipedia, meaning you googled it and browsed the wikipedia page lol.


__________________

Edited 02-10-2015 09:58 PM by Deus Ex Nihilo
[Reply] #12
02-10-2015 09:56 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

Ori wrote: I think that analyzing text is stupid in every way. There’s nothing to be read into about anything. There’s no real purpose other than being a try hard pseudo intellectual English teacher wannabe ass nerd blossom. I take what I read in a literal sense because fiction is meant to be fictional, not metaphorical. There’s no deeper meaning to it, it’s all just for entertainment.

Thank you.




Now Mataderp, have a coke, a smile, a bag of skittles and stfu.


__________________

[Reply] #13
02-10-2015 10:03 PM
Joined: 01-09-2013
Posts: 14,109
offline
Ori
Ori
Hyperactive Vagabond
Rep: 107

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote:

Ori wrote: I think that analyzing text is stupid in every way. There’s nothing to be read into about anything. There’s no real purpose other than being a try hard pseudo intellectual English teacher wannabe ass nerd blossom. I take what I read in a literal sense because fiction is meant to be fictional, not metaphorical. There’s no deeper meaning to it, it’s all just for entertainment.

Thank you.




Now Mataderp, have a coke, a smile, a bag of skittles and stfu.

No. The truth needs to be known. The whole thing about symbolism and meanings is a lie and fake and dumb and unnecessary.


__________________

[Reply] #14
02-10-2015 10:10 PM
Joined: 03-25-2011
Posts: 13,322
offline
Jurassic DIO
Jurassic DIO
Fabulous lizard man
Rep: 147

Ori wrote:

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote:

Ori wrote: I think that analyzing text is stupid in every way. There’s nothing to be read into about anything. There’s no real purpose other than being a try hard pseudo intellectual English teacher wannabe ass nerd blossom. I take what I read in a literal sense because fiction is meant to be fictional, not metaphorical. There’s no deeper meaning to it, it’s all just for entertainment.

Thank you.




Now Mataderp, have a coke, a smile, a bag of skittles and stfu.

No. The truth needs to be known. The whole thing about symbolism and meanings is a lie and fake and dumb and unnecessary.


I smell some sarcasm,but I could be wrong. Omnipotent Odin and Super Buu confirmed?


__________________

[Reply] #15
02-10-2015 10:10 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

I’m agreeing with you, I was talking about OP at the bottom lol.


__________________

[Reply] #16
02-10-2015 10:11 PM
Joined: 05-11-2008
Posts: 16,512
offline
Helly The God
Helly The God
Jesi Master
Rep: 203

Ori wrote: There’s no real purpose other than being a try hard pseudo intellectual English teacher wannabe ass nerd blossom.



OP in a nutshell tbh

[Reply] #17
02-10-2015 10:13 PM
Joined: 11-30-2013
Posts: 21,828
offline
Deus Ex Nihilo
Deus Ex Nihilo
Guy below me is a pedo
Rep: 121

Pride The Solo King wrote:

Ori wrote:

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote:

Ori wrote: I think that analyzing text is stupid in every way. There’s nothing to be read into about anything. There’s no real purpose other than being a try hard pseudo intellectual English teacher wannabe ass nerd blossom. I take what I read in a literal sense because fiction is meant to be fictional, not metaphorical. There’s no deeper meaning to it, it’s all just for entertainment.

Thank you.




Now Mataderp, have a coke, a smile, a bag of skittles and stfu.

No. The truth needs to be known. The whole thing about symbolism and meanings is a lie and fake and dumb and unnecessary.


I smell some sarcasm,but I could be wrong. Omnipotent Odin and Super Buu confirmed?

That’s not symbolism or metaphoric, Omnipotent just means above and superior than the rest.


__________________

[Reply] #18
02-10-2015 10:13 PM
Joined: 01-09-2013
Posts: 14,109
offline
Ori
Ori
Hyperactive Vagabond
Rep: 107

Oh ok. *happy*


__________________

[Reply] #19
02-10-2015 10:17 PM
Joined: 03-25-2011
Posts: 13,322
offline
Jurassic DIO
Jurassic DIO
Fabulous lizard man
Rep: 147

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote:

Pride The Solo King wrote:

Ori wrote:

Deus Ex Nihilo wrote:

Ori wrote: I think that analyzing text is stupid in every way. There’s nothing to be read into about anything. There’s no real purpose other than being a try hard pseudo intellectual English teacher wannabe ass nerd blossom. I take what I read in a literal sense because fiction is meant to be fictional, not metaphorical. There’s no deeper meaning to it, it’s all just for entertainment.

Thank you.




Now Mataderp, have a coke, a smile, a bag of skittles and stfu.

No. The truth needs to be known. The whole thing about symbolism and meanings is a lie and fake and dumb and unnecessary.


I smell some sarcasm,but I could be wrong. Omnipotent Odin and Super Buu confirmed?

That’s not symbolism or metaphoric, Omnipotent just means above and superior than the rest.


Omnipotence’s literal meaning is unlimited power. They used the metaphoric meaning you just said yourself.


__________________

Edited 02-10-2015 10:18 PM by Jurassic DIO
[Reply] #20
02-10-2015 10:24 PM
Joined: 07-26-2014
Posts: 2,470
offline
Xennotraun
Xennotraun
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 23

MeIvin wrote:

Ori wrote: There’s no real purpose other than being a try hard pseudo intellectual English teacher wannabe ass nerd blossom.



OP in a nutshell tbh



Look who’s talking.


__________________

[1] 2 3 4 Next > Last >>

New Reply
Name (guest):

For faster posting and no restrictions: [Login] [Register]

Message:


 
 

[More Options] [New Topic]
Moderated by: Phobetius, Zeroextra, - FS -, Admins, Superusers [All moderators]
The Lounge Forums ©Silicon.dk ApS 2012 - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - FAQ - Contact