Remember me
[Forgot password?] [Register]
[Login]
menu

vs.moviecodec.com

[1] 2 3 4 Next > Last >>

[Reply] #1
11-02-2013 09:52 AM
Joined: 11-03-2003
Posts: 1,884
Bjarne
Bjarne
The guy with root access
Rep: 182

Just creating this topic to get all feedback on Cid/Speaker For The Dead’s suggestion to separate the VS. forums into a new subdomain/or whole new site.

Assuming the new site/subdomain would run the same software/design as this, it wouldn’t be very hard for me to make this separation (of course there will be -SOME- work associated with doing this).

But generally, for now, I am considering this idea, but waiting a bit before I will come to a final decision.

http://lounge.moviecodec.com/vs-general/what-can-we-do-to-improve-vs-314234/12


__________________

Animated things...

Edited 11-02-2013 09:55 AM by Bjarne
[Reply] #2
11-02-2013 09:53 AM
Joined: 09-10-2012
Posts: 77,118
offline
Izayoi
Izayoi
~Prince Swordsman~
Rep: 207

How would we get from this site to the hypothetical new one? WIll there be a link? OR would we just need to type in the new address?


__________________

[Reply] #3
11-02-2013 09:54 AM
Joined: 11-03-2003
Posts: 1,884
Bjarne
Bjarne
The guy with root access
Rep: 182

ZeedMillenniummon Fancy Mode wrote: How would we get from this site to the hypothetical new one? WIll there be a link? OR would we just need to type in the new address?



I would add an easy to find link back and forth between the sites.


__________________

Animated things...

[Reply] #4
11-02-2013 09:55 AM
Joined: 09-10-2012
Posts: 77,118
offline
Izayoi
Izayoi
~Prince Swordsman~
Rep: 207

Bjarne wrote:

ZeedMillenniummon Fancy Mode wrote: How would we get from this site to the hypothetical new one? WIll there be a link? OR would we just need to type in the new address?



I would add an easy to find link back and forth between the sites.

Awesome grin

I was already in support of this idea, but now I am even more firmly.


__________________

[Reply] #5
11-02-2013 09:56 AM
Joined: 01-06-2006
Posts: 82,324
offline
See You Space Cowboy
See You Space Cowboy
You're Gonna Carry That Weight
Rep: 401

And of course, all of our accounts should be usable across both sites like it is for moviecodec and the lounge. smiley

(for those worried about losing post count or reps)

[Reply] #6
11-02-2013 09:56 AM
Joined: 01-09-2013
Posts: 14,109
offline
Ori
Ori
Hyperactive Vagabond
Rep: 107

Bjarrrrrne


__________________

[Reply] #7
11-02-2013 09:57 AM
Joined: 11-03-2003
Posts: 1,884
Bjarne
Bjarne
The guy with root access
Rep: 182

Cid wrote: And of course, all of our accounts should be usable across both sites like it is for moviecodec and the lounge. smiley

(for those worried about losing post count or reps)



Yep smiley

www.moviecodec.com and lounge.moviecodec.com runs on the same server and against the same database. vs.moviecodec.com would do too (in fact I would start by MOVING the two VS. forums here over and creating some new ones also on the VS site).


__________________

Animated things...

Edited 11-02-2013 09:58 AM by Bjarne
[Reply] #8
11-02-2013 09:58 AM
Joined: 10-10-2011
Posts: 17,023
offline
The Millennium King
The Millennium King
Zeed
Rep: 215

A precaution, this site gets most of it’s traffic from the VS section honestly. Separation could cause a decline in this site’s activity.


__________________


”“We may not see our next step
We may stumble, we may fall off the path. But we always move forward!
That is the power of man!'“

[Reply] #9
11-02-2013 09:58 AM
Joined: 10-14-2010
Posts: 21,587
offline
Kinasin
Kinasin
You miss me?!
Rep: 345

Bjarne wrote: Just creating this topic to get all feedback on Cid/Speaker For The Dead’s suggestion to separate the VS. forums into a new subdomain/or whole new site.

Assuming the new site/subdomain would run the same software/design as this, it wouldn’t be very hard for me to make this separation (of course there will be -SOME- work associated with doing this).

But generally, for now, I am considering this idea, but waiting a bit before I will come to a final decision.

http://lounge.moviecodec.com/vs-general/what-can-we-do-to-improve-vs-314234/12


I agree with this.


__________________

http://kinasin.tumblr.com/

[Reply] #10
11-02-2013 09:59 AM
Joined: 08-07-2013
Posts: 2,454
offline
Aegis
Aegis
UBER 1337 Poster
Rep: 71

The Millennium King wrote: A precaution, this site gets most of it’s traffic from the VS section honestly. Separation could cause a decline in this site’s activity.



I agree.

[Reply] #11
11-02-2013 10:00 AM
Joined: 11-03-2003
Posts: 1,884
Bjarne
Bjarne
The guy with root access
Rep: 182

The Millennium King wrote: A precaution, this site gets most of it’s traffic from the VS section honestly. Separation could cause a decline in this site’s activity.



I will keep this mind when making the decision to go or not to go forward with this.


__________________

Animated things...

[Reply] #12
11-02-2013 10:02 AM
Joined: 10-10-2011
Posts: 17,023
offline
The Millennium King
The Millennium King
Zeed
Rep: 215

Bjarne wrote:

The Millennium King wrote: A precaution, this site gets most of it’s traffic from the VS section honestly. Separation could cause a decline in this site’s activity.



I will keep this mind when making the decision to go or not to go forward with this.


Fair enough.


__________________


”“We may not see our next step
We may stumble, we may fall off the path. But we always move forward!
That is the power of man!'“

[Reply] #13
11-02-2013 10:03 AM
Joined: 01-06-2006
Posts: 82,324
offline
See You Space Cowboy
See You Space Cowboy
You're Gonna Carry That Weight
Rep: 401

The Millennium King wrote: A precaution, this site gets most of it’s traffic from the VS section honestly. Separation could cause a decline in this site’s activity.



There’s a chance of that. But the site’s will still be interlinked so those who post in both would still likely do so. This simply allows VS to grow beyond it is now and gives the rest of the site a break from all the VS stuff they don’t like.

And if Bjarne adds an admin or two specifically for the VS side, it helps the admins here who either don’t care about VS or don’t know anything about it or the characters and allows the VS Admin(s) to care for the sections better. smiley

[Reply] #14
11-02-2013 10:06 AM
Joined: 11-03-2003
Posts: 1,884
Bjarne
Bjarne
The guy with root access
Rep: 182

One additional idea for the VS site would be to maybe make a new special topic type. Which is like a specialized version of the current poll topics, just more geared against vs. battles. And then from his special type, to have ranks/listings of all vs battles... ;-) With each post (by unique user) in a vs thread you would be forced support one of the characters in the VS topic.

Ie. each character/entity that is part of a VS battle should be an entity in the database, and then this information could be used to determine overall rankings across all VS threads.


__________________

Animated things...

[Reply] #15
11-02-2013 10:08 AM
Joined: 10-10-2011
Posts: 17,023
offline
The Millennium King
The Millennium King
Zeed
Rep: 215

Cid wrote: There’s a chance of that. But the site’s will still be interlinked so those who post in both would still likely do so. This simply allows VS to grow beyond it is now and gives the rest of the site a break from all the VS stuff they don’t like.


I can still see plenty of 'VS' material as finding it’s way into here. It sort of leaks around through threads, I don’t see it as being as simple as just creating another forum/section that may not even see all that much activity.
Besides, for a while I didn’t even know this site had another section. I’ve never even touched it, I don’t see it as being that 'connected'. Unless effort is put behind making it easy to swap between parts of course.


And if Bjarne adds an admin or two specifically for the VS side, it helps the admins here who either don’t care about VS or don’t know anything about it or the characters and allows the VS Admin(s) to care for the sections better. smiley


Who would these admins be out of curiosity? Just recommendations.
Please no Morpheus.


__________________


”“We may not see our next step
We may stumble, we may fall off the path. But we always move forward!
That is the power of man!'“

[Reply] #16
11-02-2013 10:08 AM
Joined: 09-10-2012
Posts: 77,118
offline
Izayoi
Izayoi
~Prince Swordsman~
Rep: 207

Bjarne wrote: One additional idea for the VS site would be to maybe make a new special topic type. Which is like a specialized version of the current poll topics, just more geared against vs. battles. And then from his special type, to have ranks/listings of all vs battles... ;-) With each post (by unique user) in a vs thread you would be forced support one of the characters in the VS topic.

Ie. each character/entity that is part of a VS battle should be an entity in the database, and then this information could be used to determine overall rankings across all VS threads.



THIS IDEA IS THE BEST IDEA.

Only one problem.

What if there is nobody to defend a character?

Say, someone makes Omegamon vs Eren while I’m offline to spite me, and since I’m offline, I can’t debate for Omegamon, resulting in Eren being the winner when he obviously isn’t?


__________________

[Reply] #17
11-02-2013 10:08 AM
Joined: 01-06-2006
Posts: 82,324
offline
See You Space Cowboy
See You Space Cowboy
You're Gonna Carry That Weight
Rep: 401

Bjarne wrote: One additional idea for the VS site would be to maybe make a new special topic type. Which is like a specialized version of the current poll topics, just more geared against vs. battles. And then from his special type, to have ranks/listings of all vs battles... ;-) With each post (by unique user) in a vs thread you would be forced support one of the characters in the VS topic.

Ie. each character/entity that is part of a VS battle should be an entity in the database, and then this information could be used to determine overall rankings across all VS threads.



So a “battle ranking” based on number of poll votes? I guess it’d be cool if you could restrict votes to IP instead of account.... Lol

[Reply] #18
11-02-2013 10:10 AM
Joined: 10-14-2010
Posts: 21,587
offline
Kinasin
Kinasin
You miss me?!
Rep: 345

ZeedMillenniummon Fancy Mode wrote:

Bjarne wrote: One additional idea for the VS site would be to maybe make a new special topic type. Which is like a specialized version of the current poll topics, just more geared against vs. battles. And then from his special type, to have ranks/listings of all vs battles... ;-) With each post (by unique user) in a vs thread you would be forced support one of the characters in the VS topic.

Ie. each character/entity that is part of a VS battle should be an entity in the database, and then this information could be used to determine overall rankings across all VS threads.



THIS IDEA IS THE BEST IDEA.

Only one problem.

What if there is nobody to defend a character?

Say, someone makes Omegamon vs Eren while I’m offline to spite me, and since I’m offline, I can’t debate for Omegamon, resulting in Eren being the winner when he obviously isn’t?


Or a group of people just wanking their favorite vs by sheer numbers.


__________________

http://kinasin.tumblr.com/

[Reply] #19
11-02-2013 10:11 AM
Joined: 09-10-2012
Posts: 77,118
offline
Izayoi
Izayoi
~Prince Swordsman~
Rep: 207

Kinasin wrote:

ZeedMillenniummon Fancy Mode wrote:

Bjarne wrote: One additional idea for the VS site would be to maybe make a new special topic type. Which is like a specialized version of the current poll topics, just more geared against vs. battles. And then from his special type, to have ranks/listings of all vs battles... ;-) With each post (by unique user) in a vs thread you would be forced support one of the characters in the VS topic.

Ie. each character/entity that is part of a VS battle should be an entity in the database, and then this information could be used to determine overall rankings across all VS threads.



THIS IDEA IS THE BEST IDEA.

Only one problem.

What if there is nobody to defend a character?

Say, someone makes Omegamon vs Eren while I’m offline to spite me, and since I’m offline, I can’t debate for Omegamon, resulting in Eren being the winner when he obviously isn’t?


Or a group of people just wanking their favorite vs by sheer numbers.

This too.


__________________

[Reply] #20
11-02-2013 10:11 AM
Joined: 06-17-2012
Posts: 24,262
offline
Zlatan
Zlatan
Dare to Zlatan
Rep: 181

Kinasin wrote:

ZeedMillenniummon Fancy Mode wrote:

Bjarne wrote: One additional idea for the VS site would be to maybe make a new special topic type. Which is like a specialized version of the current poll topics, just more geared against vs. battles. And then from his special type, to have ranks/listings of all vs battles... ;-) With each post (by unique user) in a vs thread you would be forced support one of the characters in the VS topic.

Ie. each character/entity that is part of a VS battle should be an entity in the database, and then this information could be used to determine overall rankings across all VS threads.



THIS IDEA IS THE BEST IDEA.

Only one problem.

What if there is nobody to defend a character?

Say, someone makes Omegamon vs Eren while I’m offline to spite me, and since I’m offline, I can’t debate for Omegamon, resulting in Eren being the winner when he obviously isn’t?


Or a group of people just wanking their favorite vs by sheer numbers.

Bleachfags summed up in one sentence


__________________

[1] 2 3 4 Next > Last >>

New Reply
Name (guest):

For faster posting and no restrictions: [Login] [Register]

Message:


 
 

[More Options] [New Topic]
Moderated by: Phobetius, Zeroextra, - FS -, Admins, Superusers [All moderators]
The Lounge Forums ©Silicon.dk ApS 2012 - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - FAQ - Contact